Random Projects

03CobraRed

Established Member
As some of you know I am pretty anal about my cars appearance.

I am taking on some projects tonight that some of you might adapt or already have and would like to share.

Wheel wells, does anybody else but me hate how they look after a summers worth of driving? On all my past mustangs I paint the plastic front wells and some of the rear stuff. Gloss black makes it look amazing, I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Side skirt where is wraps around the front in the wheel well. Mine is chipped up and showing the black plastic all the way through. I ordered my paint today in an aerosol can from Napa and have some clear and other misc supply stuff. I will tape off the section and paint and clear the part so it looks new again added coats of clear should help this from happening again. On my 03 right after I bought it new I put 6 coats and wetsanded it and it looked like new when I sold it!

Possibly painting a few brackets in the motor bay as well but probably not until the motor comes out.

Just sharing, I'll post pics when I am done!

Here is a picture of what drives me nuts! Behind the front wheel..
DSCF9027.jpg

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
It does make a big difference keeping those areas clean. I spray on Simple Green and let it soak for about 10 minutes and spray it off and the wheel wells look as good as new.

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
how much was the paint in the aerosol can? do all napa's have this service?

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
spray can paint and clear may not look the best id hounestly just take those little rocker extensions off go to a body shop and have them re painted. i cant see it costing more then 50 to 100 bucks

03CobraRed

Established Member
It will look good, I have done it before. A lot of coats and wetsanding and buffing it will look good as new.

The wheel wells look like new every time I clean them but I like them to look gloss black, not the faded gray/dull look. I wipe mine out every time I wash the car.

03CobraRed

Established Member
how much was the paint in the aerosol can? do all napa's have this service?

It was $15. They had to have somebody do it for them, I ordered it at 4 today and they said I can pick it up at 8 AM. Duplicolor only makes my color in the touch up paint with the brush so I will try it out.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
I just took my paint code to a automotive paint supply store and they mixed some in an aresol can for me.

I always spray tire shine in the wheel well when I detail the car. But painting it will be a permanent fix.

03CobraRed

Established Member
I just took my paint code to a automotive paint supply store and they mixed some in an aresol can for me.

I always spray tire shine in the wheel well when I detail the car. But painting it will be a permanent fix.

Exactly, I used to do the same thing up until a few years ago when I figured that out.

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
My wheel wells were painted, and it flaked off the first time i bent them for removal. How do you get yours not to come off? Wouldn't you get rock chips in the paint?

I know you said you were gonna detail your engine bay... I think you are missing an AC cap on the rear passenger side. Sorry, but i am very anal also lmao.

Last edited:

03CobraRed

Established Member
I strip them down, give the wells a light sanding and spray a lot of the adhesion promoter before the paint. I used this in place of a regular primer. The best part about it is if they get chipped up its only a light sanding and spray away from being perfect again.

I would never paint the wells another color besides black and my car is so low you would never even see that much in there but I like knowing its clean.

Badazgt

Established Member
i have a hard time believing that it wouldn't be rock chiped up in a 5 min drive

Toasty

Established Member
My wheel wells were painted, and it flaked off the first time i bent them for removal. How do you get yours not to come off? Wouldn't you get rock chips in the paint?

I know you said you were gonna detail your engine bay... I think you are missing an AC cap on the rear passenger side. Sorry, but i am very anal also lmao.

There is a flex additive for applications on plastic/urethane parts that can be added to the paint by your bodyshop/automotive paint supplier IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread