Rap, Hip/Hop fans - enter!

westtx47

Established Member
For true rap and hip-hop fans:

Do you feel like, as Nas once said...and has repeated, hip-hop is dead? Perhaps dying?

Now, I appreciate all music genres...except for 'new' punk/emo shit, but hip-hop has always been one of my favorites. I like a lot of what these guys have to say(most of them, anyways), but a lot of the newer guys coming out produce nothing but "club bangin' beats".

On a personal note, if you find Kanye West to be the best rapper ever...shame on you.

canibus

Established Member
I think it died a long time ago. there is a different kind of hip hop these days. I'd say it died around the time No Limit/cash money came out. Then came crunk then came snap yo fingaz music. chopped and screwed was kind of cool, but it got old real quick. At the end of the day, everyone is out to make money. Wether it's real hip hop or not.

some good rappers have sneaked through the cracks though, they're the only reason i remotely care about hip hop anymore.

Nas
common
Dmx
lil' wayne
rakim
eminem(exept his last album)
pitbull
jay
young buck
the game

I'm probably missing one or two

JMD0346

Established Member
For true rap and hip-hop fans:

Do you feel like, as Nas once said...and has repeated, hip-hop is dead? Perhaps dying?

Now, I appreciate all music genres...except for 'new' punk/emo shit, but hip-hop has always been one of my favorites. I like a lot of what these guys have to say(most of them, anyways), but a lot of the newer guys coming out produce nothing but "club bangin' beats".

On a personal note, if you find Kanye West to be the best rapper ever...shame on you.

Rap has been dead for years. Like you said its all silly ass club beats. "Do this", "Do that", "Do it like this"... etc.

Biggie, Tupac, Easy, Outkast, Goodie Mob, Snoop, Dre, are the last real rappers. I could go back to alot more old school rappers.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
i kind of agree with this...it seems like all the new rap/hip hop songs that have recently came out have all sucked! i mean yeah some of them have some good beats, but as far as lyrics go, they're trash! just listen to that damn soldier boy song and you'll know what i'm talking about...

westtx47

Established Member
I think it died a long time ago. there is a different kind of hip hop these days. I'd say it died around the time No Limit/cash money came out. Then came crunk then came snap yo fingaz music. chopped and screwed was kind of cool, but it got old real quick. At the end of the day, everyone is out to make money. Wether it's real hip hop or not.

some good rappers have sneaked through the cracks though, they're the only reason i remotely care about hip hop anymore.

Nas
common
Dmx
lil' wayne
rakim
eminem(exept his last album)
pitbull
jay
young buck
the game

I'm probably missing one or two

I agree, even though Juvenile had his own style, it definitely started the decline though wasn't Lil' Wayne a part of them? Or was that Big Tymers? Don't remember.

I think Chopped/Screwed was, at the very least, original. I like it, still do...pending who the producer/DJ is. Crunk is all about making club beats...which bring in the cash I suppose, but its overplayed. Lil'Jon is still one of the better producers as of late.

Wu Tang Clan ain't nothing to **** with.

A f***ing-men! As cliche as it sounds, they keep it real...all of them.

I miss Mobb Deep, B.I.G., Tupac even. DMX has gone "nice guy" and I miss his tenacity.

Mobb Deep's "Shook One's Part 1&2" has got to be THE best beat and song I've heard.

stangkid

Established Member
i kind of agree with this...it seems like all the new rap/hip hop songs that have recently came out have all sucked! i mean yeah some of them have some good beats, but as far as lyrics go, they're trash! just listen to that damn soldier boy song and you'll know what i'm talking about...

+1 fo sho

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
I agree, even though Juvenile had his own style, it definitely started the decline though wasn't Lil' Wayne a part of them? Or was that Big Tymers? Don't remember.

I think Chopped/Screwed was, at the very least, original. I like it, still do...pending who the producer/DJ is. Crunk is all about making club beats...which bring in the cash I suppose, but its overplayed. Lil'Jon is still one of the better producers as of late.

They were all part of Cash Money Millionaries. Lil Wayne, Juvenile, BG, Turk, Manny Fresh and someone else.

The Chopped/Screwed - DJ Screw and Swisha House are the only ones I listen to regarding that music. And Swisha House before Paul Wall and Mike Jones and all of those people went and did their own things. Michael 5000 Watts.

And all of the new stuff is garbage. Jay Z and Lil' Wayne are the only ones I can really stand of the new age "rappers". Everything else is all of the same crap. When I do switch Sirius over to the "rap" stations, I mainly listen to the beats. The lyrics sucks.

Or I listen to the DJs - DJ Green Lantern, DJ Drama, etc.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
SUCKS MAJOR BALLS!!

Most of his "popular" stuff that is played on the Radio all the time generally does.

His mix-tapes don't, imo.

EDIT: Besides, Biggie Smalls is one of the best "rappers" ever, I think. After he and Tupac went away, most of it started to change...a lot.

Last edited:

westtx47

Established Member
They were all part of Cash Money Millionaries. Lil Wayne, Juvenile, BG, Turk, Manny Fresh and someone else.

The Chopped/Screwed - DJ Screw and Swisha House are the only ones I listen to regarding that music. And Swisha House before Paul Wall and Mike Jones and all of those people went and did their own things. Michael 5000 Watts.

And all of the new stuff is garbage. Jay Z and Lil' Wayne are the only ones I can really stand of the new age "rappers". Everything else is all of the same crap. When I do switch Sirius over to the "rap" stations, I mainly listen to the beats. The lyrics sucks.

Or I listen to the DJs - DJ Green Lantern, DJ Drama, etc.

Jesus I'm on a serious typing binge tonight.

Essentially, Manny Fresh and Lil'Wayne, IMO, are what made Cash Money worth a damn...and are better off w/o the label/group. "The Carter" is a good, if not great album.

As for Paul Wall and Mike Jones, they mixtapes and small time radio play in Houston and San Antonion yearssss before they ever made it big. Sadly, though, all the mixtapes hit songs made it to wax and got burned out quickly. Praise Michael Watts IMO.

Jay-Z USED to be legit. I mean...badass. Him and Jermaine Dupree could write some pretty kick ass jams back in like, what, '99? I consider him half a joke now though thanks to his "Retirement, release album, retire" bullsh**. Other than that, he's become a solid producer.

canibus

Established Member

he was, but he was much younger then. his style wasn't anywhere near what it is today. The carter was in my opinion a classic. "GO DJ. THAT'S MY DJ"

i'm sick of turning on the radio and hearing t pain and akon on every song. that's no exagerration

westtx47

Established Member
i'm sick of turning on the radio and hearing t pain and akon on every song. that's no exagerration

Good god! Thats no joke! Wish I would have thought about throwing my voice into a synth and pairing up with people to make millions.

I say: F*** Akon, f*** T-Pain, f*** Kanye West(whiny little bastard), and f*** Soulja Boy!

MetikalSVT

Not A Rookie
Established Member
Hip-Hop will never die, just like metal.

Enough with this mainstream/club/radio crap, look up Cunninlynuists, best hip-hop out there IMHO.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3VQXiNk4s&feature=related"]YouTube - CunninLynguists -Nothing to Give[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npSFbmmKImo"]YouTube - CunninLynguists - "K.K.K.Y." [Music Video][/ame]

Very orignal. :beer:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
The new garbage can't compare to the old school shit, when rap was rap.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL9ihXiFAko"]YouTube - Geto Boys - Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta[/ame]

mineralrob

Established Member
yea hiphop/rap has def taken a curve.

I like alot of oldschool,but i do agree that alot of new stuff has decent beats but the lyrics are not to good.

Oldiest but good ones

Wu tang
Pharcyde
Tribe called quest
Old school busta ryhmes
Lupe fiasco
Special K

and the list goes on but music is music but some of this new stuff has to go. I agree with the poster who posted about t pain,akon etc.

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
Rap has deff. changed over the years...some of the new age shit is snappy and carry's a good beat but is often overplayed and then it just becomes annoying

IMO the good artists are/were

Three six mafia (mostly old school three six)
Bone thugs n harmony
Do or die
Tupac
Biggie
lil jon and the east side boys
Master P
Cash money/juvenile/lil wayne
Twista
snoop/warren G
NWA
Dr. Dre
Eminem
Young buck
T.I
Plies

westtx47

Established Member
Nice finds man, that first Cunnin song just got downloaded. Very "real". No bullshit in it.

I still can't get over Mobb Deep's "Shook One's".

Something about that piano in the beat makes it so damn...hardcore. I like that they rap clearly and sound very assertive in their tone of voice. It tells a story. One that really tells how, not that I know from experience, they lived life. Battling over territory, drugs, money...they don't want to call 'your' crew out but let you know that they are/were ready for anything. Everyone else..."featherweight". Hence...they are all just "shook".

I love it, lol. My dad never really caught on to my 'obsession' with hip-hop because all he heard was the profanity. I've never personally experienced 90% of the stuff I hear in the lyrics, but respect it. I respect the fact that these guys are capable of rhymes that aren't simple like a lot of today's rappers.

Check it: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ndo37LMzmU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ndo37LMzmU[/ame]

"Livin the live that of diamonds and guns
Theres numerous ways you can choose to earn funds...earn funds
Some of em get shot, locked down and turn nuns
Cowardly hearts end straight up shook ones...shook ones
He aint a crook son, hes just a shook one...shook one"

Oh...and for some reason I blown away by "Rock you in your face, stab your brain wit your nosebone". Don't really know why...its thinking of someone getting a nice uppercut, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread