Raptor front end leveling mod

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Petersens off-road magazine did a feature on the Raptor a few months back and they noticed a really cool feature in a picture of the front shock cutaway.

It seems as if the lower spring perch on the front Fox shocks isn't connected to the shock body, but merely slips over it. It sits in place using circlips, just like installing MM coilovers on the rear of an IRS cobra. The shock body is grooved, a circlip sits in the groove, then the spring perch slides over it and sits on the clip. Well the cutaway shows not just one, but three grooves in the shock. The spring perch is sitting on the lowest groove in stock form.

All it would take is a spring compressor to compress the spring, then you could slide the perch up off the circlip, move the circlip to a higher groove and put everything back together. Moving this up one groove might effectively raise up the front end of your Raptor and level it out.

The only problem I see with this is changing the spring rate since you are preloading the spring more than normal. If you can find a slightly shorter spring with the same rate to put in there, I guess that problem is solved. You'll also run into spring bind quicker since it's compressed a bit more than normal. These might not be huge problems depending on how far apart the grooves are, but I don't have a Raptor to look at myself. Oh, and I take no responsibility in what happens if you do this mod, just letting you know what it says in the magazine.

Anyone wanna try this out or at least confirm the grooves are there in stock form?

:beer:

steeltoe

Established Member
This has been a topic for a few months on the Raptor sites. As far as I know no one has tried it yet.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Oh cool. Yeah, surprised nobody brought it up before on here. Why the hell hasn't anyone tried it, or at least looked. Spring compressors can be rented for free!

steeltoe

Established Member
I just found out that in VA leveling kits are illegal. So I may try it but it wont be until the next time I go home.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I just found out that in VA leveling kits are illegal. So I may try it but it wont be until the next time I go home.

Don't know how they'd know you 'leveled' the truck so long as you re-aimed the headlights properly. The misaimed headlights is probably why they made them illegal out of ignorance (IF in fact they're actually illegal).

steeltoe

Established Member
§ 46.2-1064. Modification of front-end suspension by use of lift blocks.

No motor vehicle whose front-end suspension has been modified by the use of lift blocks shall be driven on any highway in the Commonwealth.

(1985, c. 11, § 46.1-282.2; 1989, c. 727.)

LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-1064

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
You wouldn't be leveling it with lift blocks though so that section wouldn't apply I don't think since your leveling would be achieved through the stock suspension with out the requirement for blocks.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
^ True. Visually they couldn't say there is an 'extra' lift block installed.

But, the mod isn't "in the spirit of the law" either.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Sounds to me like they are talking about trucks using leaf spring front ends, which are usually older models. Don't think any trucks come with leaves up front these days.

Tell them they are lift pucks, not blocks. Blocks on leaf spring suspensions could be dangerous if the block was to break or fall out. No way a coil spacer is going to fall out if installed properly.

Besides, this isn't even a spacer we are talking about. Doing this mod has exactly the same setup as stock, a circlip in a groove on the shock body, it's just a bit higher. Not dangerous at all.

My old integra had the same thing on it's suspension. I had koni shocks and ground control coilovers. The shocks had 3 grooves in them so you had tons of adjustability as to how high you wanted to mount the coilover sleeve.

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
That law applies to leaf springs, the reason for that was when they lifted trucks with blocks in the front the would twist out if you had to turn real hard/sharp. It doesnt apply to a spacer on a coil spring front end

Users who are viewing this thread