Raptor questions I have.

98slowbra

Established Member
I was throwing around the idea of getting a 2012 Raptor in Blue flame. I will trade in my 2007 Envoy denali and my 1998 chrome yellow cobra. I have a few questions for you.
How are these things to drive?
Can they fit in the garage (I have a 3 car garage)
How are they in the snow?
can you go through the drive through window fast food places with these things?
Will it be much different then driving my envoy denali?
Are they good for a daily driver?
Might be dumb questions but never drove something this big yet. Let me know your thoughts on these. My cobra and my denali have been paid off for sometime now so should be good downpayment on one.

Last edited:

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
Haven't had mine in the snow yet but I understand they do quite well though the BFGs leave something to be desired in the snow.

The Raptor is a dream to drive and well suited for a daily driver if you don't mind the gas mileage. I've had no problems in drive-throughs but I'm sure there are some that will pose a problem. Most automated car washes are definitely out.

As far as being different than driving your Denali......you'll be turning a lot more heads and wearing a permanent grin but nothing else would be much different.

Regarding your question about fitting in your garage.....below are some specs that might be of help to you

DIMENSIONS (inches unless otherwise noted)
EXTERIOR SuperCab SuperCrew
Wheelbase 133.3 145.2
Vehicle length (at floor) 220.6 232.1
Vehicle width (without mirrors) 86.3 86.3
Vehicle height at curb 78.5 78.4
Track width, front/rear 73.6 73.6

Last edited:

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
I was throwing around the idea of getting a 2012 Raptor in Blue flame. I will trade in my 2007 Envoy denali and my 1998 chrome yellow cobra. I have a few questions for you.
How are these things to drive?
Can they fit in the garage (I have a 3 car garage)
How are they in the snow?
can you go through the drive through window fast food places with these things?
Will it be much different then driving my envoy denali?
Are they good for a daily driver?
Might be dumb questions but never drove something this big yet. Let me know your thoughts on these. My cobra and my denali have been paid off for sometime now so should be good downpayment on one.

1. Are you getting the 4-door, or the 2 door model? My 2 door fits very comfortably, 4-door would be tighter, but it should still fit I think.

2. Freaking amazing

3. Probably not other than the thumbs up you'll get from people. It is very comfortable to ride around in. Parking can be tricky, it's wider than your Denali, so that may take some getting used to.

4. Yep!

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Drives like a Cadillac on the hwy. Great for DD. Lots of power as well.
I would do it for sure!

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
1. They are a blast to drive, on or off road.
2. They will fit in a garage if the door isn't too low.
3. Never driven it in the snow...does fine in the rain.
4. Fast food drive throughs are fine. Bank drive throughs are a little tight. Some drive through car washes won't allow them. Some public/private parking garages get a little hairy, just be sure to check the maximum allowed height before you enter one.
5. Great as a daily driver. The power is awesome from 0 to 75'ish for a 6000+ pound truck. Great options, great seats. 100 MPH Speed Limiter pisses me off. The biggest thing for me to get used to was the turning radius, which is quite a bit smaller than any car I have owned. You can almost turn around on a regular two lane street without doing a three point turn!

Last edited:

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
I strongly considered a raptor and still want one the only downfall, and minor one at that for me, was the mpg's. I couldnt find one used under 40k so in a couple years ill look at used ones again and consider trading in my jeep. The ride pretty much like any other fullsize truck. Sure parking spaces are a little tighter as are some parking garages if you encounter them often. But if you really want one you will find a way to deal with it.

Speed_Addict

Established Member
I would really like one as a company truck, but am lazy and don't want to have to hand/spray wash the beast. I have several other cars that need the extra love so having to do that with a company truck just isn't in the cards. I can't find any local car washes that will take a Raptor. Stinks and I'm bummed about it.

r.barn

Established Member
Mine fits through standard automatic drive-thru car washes just fine. Never been turned away for "it's too big".

2 door trucks will fit in a garage. My 4 door is too long to close the door unless you have an extra deep garage. It will fit through a standard single garage door opening, but it is VERY tight. The interior is huge. The back seat has insane amounts of leg room.

The trucks drive incredibly good. Smooth as butter with very little body roll on the street and crazy fun off road. The power is great, accelerates the way you always wished a truck would.

Bad side: 13mpg avg. and they eat tires. 20,000 miles and mine were toast. And they are not cheap.

Last edited:

SVTPete83

Established Member
Mine has 20k as well and the tires have tons of tread. Have done 3 desert runs with it, a bunch of high speed fire road runs, and jumped it ones about 6 inches off the ground (I know not much, just enough to say I did it.) this truck has been awesome. Great daily driver. Love it on long freeway trips, it rides wicked smooth on the highway. I ran 15.0 at the track bone stock and truly believe its the best vehicle I have ever owned. Ford hit a home run with this one. You will not be disappointed. It does really well in the snow too. No worries there. At the bottom is a little vid I did of mine if you wanna check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vez9ZPzCTc4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Great video! I haven't really ever heard or seen one a stock one at full throttle from outside...sounds and looks awesome! I'm looking forward to finding some better sandy roads to tear up here in North Carolina than there were in Georgia. And I agree, it's been an awesome vehicle thus far (32K miles).

Last edited:

r.barn

Established Member
Mine has 20k as well and the tires have tons of tread.

Well it's relative for a BFG A/T. They werent slicks, but I call 50% tread reduction "toasted" on a BFG A/T. Their performance and ride quality drops off quick when they start getting past that.

Maintaining pressure religiously and rotating tires at every oil change seemed to help with the 2nd set.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Tires would be one of the first thing I would change on a raptor....never been a big bfg at or mt fan

Sent with Tapatalk2 while watching chicks get naked.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Tires would be one of the first thing I would change on a raptor....never been a big bfg at or mt fan

Sent with Tapatalk2 while watching chicks get naked.

I agree. I'm looking at going with some Nitto's or General Grabbers (the have orange lettering that matches the color of my truck), but at $300+ per tire, I'm biding my time...damn, Gina those are some pricey kicks!

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
I agree. I'm looking at going with some Nitto's or General Grabbers (the have orange lettering that matches the color of my truck), but at $300+ per tire, I'm biding my time...damn, Gina those are some pricey kicks!

Check out the Nitto Dune grappler...only like 238 a tire... Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

also check out Treadepot.com ....they have several 35x12.5x17's...same size as stock...for well under 300 bucks. and a Kelly Safari TSR in stock 315/70/17 for 239 bucks...its a slightly more agressive tire than the dune grappler in a traditional tread pattern. As well as the wrangler duratrac for 276....a tire thats becoming a strong favorite among weekend wheelers.

Last edited:

slynch68

Established Member
Getting mileage out of the Generals suck. Wore out a set of 37's in 25K and rotated them every 5K miles. They don't balance worth a crap either. I'm going with Toyo's M/T's next.

SVTPete83

Established Member
I had a set of toyo mt's on my last truck and loved em. Snow and mud they were awesome. High speed desert running, I don't know though.

Bad Chariot

Established Member
Mine has 20k as well and the tires have tons of tread. Have done 3 desert runs with it, a bunch of high speed fire road runs, and jumped it ones about 6 inches off the ground (I know not much, just enough to say I did it.) this truck has been awesome. Great daily driver. Love it on long freeway trips, it rides wicked smooth on the highway. I ran 15.0 at the track bone stock and truly believe its the best vehicle I have ever owned. Ford hit a home run with this one. You will not be disappointed. It does really well in the snow too. No worries there. At the bottom is a little vid I did of mine if you wanna check it out.

Wheeling in my Raptor - YouTube

Watching this cool video there is a link for a Blue Raptor in the snow and it was QUITE clear, it has NO issues driving in deep snow!

Users who are viewing this thread