Raspy Exhaust and I Hate It

Loc

So I purchased a 2007 GT500 used with 16,500 miles. Really love the car but I absolutely can’t stand the raspy exhaust. Here is the setup tell me what I need to change so I can have the deeper tones.

JBA Long Tube Headers
X pipe of unknown make
Stock GT500 mufflers.

Thanks

Recon

Established Member
You can try some Borla S types. Or magnaflow is pretty good for taking rasp, or just put an H pipe on it.

Pick your poison.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
An X pipe will always be raspy and sharp in tone. That is a characteristic of the design. Look up the flow characteristics of a straight pipe, H pipe, and X pipe. The X is going to sound like a NASCAR.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I had a JBA X-Pipe on my stock exhaust and immediately noticed the change in sound. Exhaust note was much more of a Nascar raspier sound everywhere from mid-upper. A few months later I decided on AMR headers and made sure they were H-Piped. That was my personal preference.
Recently my Cats were rattling. AMR swapped them out while I waited. I was pleasantly surprised with the even deeper sound on the highway ride home and locally.....everywhere! I guess the Cats were pretty burned. My AMR's had the Cats in that mid pipe "H" assembly. AMR cut them on the H side then clamped the new Cats on both sides for easy swap in ever needed in the future. I looked at JBA for you but they don't seem to list H-Pipe. Maybe JBA tech can give you some advice?

nolesftw

Established Member
I have Kooks long tubes with a cat less H-pipe and stock muffles and it’s raspy as well. I think it’s a combo of the X and factory mufflers. I’m looking at the Borla S types because I hate the raspy sound too.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
So I purchased a 2007 GT500 used with 16,500 miles. Really love the car but I absolutely can’t stand the raspy exhaust. Here is the setup tell me what I need to change so I can have the deeper tones.

JBA Long Tube Headers
X pipe of unknown make
Stock GT500 mufflers.

Thanks

I assume you are still 2.5" behind the long tubes since you mentioned GT500KR muffs.

JBA does not list a 2.5" H-Pipe for a GT500, but they do list it for a Mustang GT of those years (2005-2010). The H-pipe shown below may be what you are looking for.......

002.jpg

Shown above is a JBA 2.5" Mustang GT H-pipe laying on top of a JBA 2.5" GT500 X-pipe. The catback ends are lined up and the transmission crossmember hanger brackets are lined up, so from all appearances, the MGT JBA H will bolt into a GT500 system where a JBA X is currently installed. There may be a small amount of tweaking at the front bends and possible removal of some of the front H pipes (left and right), but it is very close.

Shown below is the same stack as above with a GT500KR H-pipe on top. The GT500KR H follows the same flow as the JBA H further showing that the Mustang GT H-pipe "should" fit the GT500 without much issue.

004.jpg

If you want to get real creative, the MAC Pro Chamber is also a 2.5" option for the Mustang GT..............Hmmm...........GT500. I will add a picture of the MAC Pro Chamber when I get home.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Here is a MAC Pro Chamber side-by-side with a Mustang GT H-pipe that I found on the internet.........

DPP_Mustang_Mac_Prochamber1-vi.jpg

Hmmmm 2.5" Mustang GT.............2.5" 2007-2010 GT500?

R

fmylife

Established Member
If you want to get real creative, the MAC Pro Chamber is also a 2.5" option for the Mustang GT..............Hmmm...........GT500. I will add a picture of the MAC Pro Chamber when I get home.

R
I installed the ProChamber cut n clamp on my stock X and it sounds really good with the KR mufflers. If I don't end up selling the car soon, I'll probably do some LTs with high cats to continue using the ProChamber.

Users who are viewing this thread