Rattle underneath car

griffined

SVT driver
I noticed a rattling sound underneath my car on the drive back from Dallas. The dealer I bought the car from mentioned it, and I assumed it was something on the exhaust.

I had the car on the rack getting the oil changed, and the mechanics looked at the exhaust, tapped it with a rubber mallet, but only found a rock in one of the heat sheilds, which they removed. I still had the noise, and noticed that it would change pitch or disappear when I pushed the clutch in, but it didn't sound like a TO bearing.

While I was having the dyno runs done, they saw it was a dust cover for the clutch. They pulled it off, and showed me where some of the aluminum on it's edges had torn. I went by the dealer with the part in my hand, and got them to get one from a 2000 4.6L Mustang.(So far, nothing 2000 R specific shows up on their parts system) It looks the same in terms of shape and size, so I'm having it put on in place of the original.

The part number is F6ZZ7513AA $24.82

Andy M

Established Member
Most dealers are absolutely clueless where the R's are concerned!:bash: I suppose it is not really their fault though.. as they don't get a chance to see one very often.

However, I do fault Ford for not at least giving them a special place in their parts catalog to go for the owners to get parts!! :burn: I can't tell you how many times I've been to a dealer and they ask me what engine is in the car?? That's a 4.6 right?? :rolleyes: :mj:

Users who are viewing this thread