Rattling around radio area of dash

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
I have an annoying rattle in my dash around/behind the radio (I think) going over bumps and also in the drone zone. 2000 to 2200 rpm with borla stingers. Anyone have any ideas or luck finding and fixing this? Ive had the seat rubbing tsb done.... Thanks all Eric

novi408

Established Member
I have the same thing. On mine it is the trim bezel that goes from the top of the dash (including the vents) and down around the radio. When I hear the rattle, I can push on the upper right corner of this piece and make it go away. I was looking at the terrible fit of those panels last night and noticed that the lower trim piece is also pretty loose. I haven't taken it off to see if anything is broken yet or tried anything else to fix it.

03Cobra745

Have the same problem. Ford didn't mention a TSB. :??: They did something that made the sound go away for about a day or two.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I had it ....
Got it fixed where I work.......Linc/Merc dealer......(I work in parts)
My trim guy pulled out the center panel , with a/c vent registers....
Removed a/c registers from panel....
Per a SSM....... special service message
He installed small o-rings at the center pivot points of the registers(basic part #19893)
Replacement of the registers them selves is not effective and will likely result in a "come back/recheck" ....
The o-rings worked out nicely!.... nice tight operation, and they stay put....
What's the difference between a ....TSB????
And a SSM.....????
Haven't a freaking clue!
I do know it works on Mustang, Lincoln LS, Town car,........... and I would imagine anything....

Is the dash area 100% silent now????

NO....

But it is quiet enough that.... it is no longer annoying to drive on bumpy roads:thumbsup:

EDIT-----> It's been about a month and noise/rattle has not returned.

Jimmy:rockon::beer:

Last edited:

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
FORD: 2001-2004 MUSTANG

ISSUE:
Some 2001-2004 Mustang vehicles may exhibit climate control panel vents (barrel vent) with vanes that are difficult to adjust, and/or may make a rattling type noise. This may be due to detachment of the air vanes from the pilot holes in the vent housing.

ACTION:
To service, install revised vent (3R3Z-19893-AB). The barrel vents are now sold and serviced separately. Refer to the Service Procedure below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Order replacement vent (3R3Z-19893-AB), one (1) for each vent requiring replacement.
Remove the vent by prying it away with a flat screwdriver (Figure 1).
Install the revised vent by pressing the new vent into place (Figure 2).
Repeat Steps 1-3 as needed.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3R3Z-19893-AB Vent Louvre Assembly

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
040503A Replace Barrel Vent (Includes Time To Replace One Or All Vents) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
19893 42

Figure 1 - Article 04-5-3

Figure 2 - Article 04-5-3

Fuerza

Established Member
It rattled, when I first took deliver of the car, but now it has stopped.

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Thanks all I have an apointment at my dealer next tuesday. The tech is very good and seems to really care so hopefully he can get it fixed. :thumbsup:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Does anyone have a slaping sound from underneath the dash around the pedals? I ask here because I got one, called SVT and they told me its a diverter in the vent system. Said it's happens more it the hotter weather and it's normal. He should have to drive the means streets of NY and have to listen to it! I been under there and I can't seem to make anything move to duplicate the slapping sound. Any thoughts?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
It could be coming from under the car. There are some hard rubber walls around the oil filter area. If one of the mounts pulled loose, it could be flapping in the wind and hitting the body underneath. Just a thought.

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Got the new ac vents installed and he did the rubber oring thing. Not 100 percent rattle free but much better :thumbsup:
Thanks BDC!

Last edited:

julio

Established Member
Originally posted by novi408
I have the same thing. On mine it is the trim bezel that goes from the top of the dash (including the vents) and down around the radio. When I hear the rattle, I can push on the upper right corner of this piece and make it go away. I was looking at the terrible fit of those panels last night and noticed that the lower trim piece is also pretty loose. I haven't taken it off to see if anything is broken yet or tried anything else to fix it.

Mine does this exact same thing...

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Don't add subs to your sound system... you'll have PLENTY of rattles then...I'm just glad the exhaust drowns them out.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra03FLA
Got the new ac vents installed and he did the rubber oring thing. Not 100 percent rattle free but much better :thumbsup:
Thanks BDC!

No problem :-D

fusion_ta66

Established Member
Has anyone done this TSB themselves? I would really rather not go back to the dealership and have them give me grief about any mods.

Users who are viewing this thread