Rattling from transmission

Blackened GT

Established Member
I have an 60k mi 03 gt with the 3650 transmission. Back in march I had a new clutch put in and for about a couple of months I have had this rattling coming from the bellhousing. My guess is that its the throw out bearing because when I push the clutch in the noise stops. My other guess is that its the input shaft. Any clue what it is?

Last edited:

Blackened GT

Established Member
Is this obvious and I'm just stupid or does any not know what I'm talkin about. Either way I'd like to find out something. Give me some ideas. I guess no one else had this problem...

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
its kinda hard to tell without hearing it. Mine had a squeaking type noise before i changed my clutch and it was my throw out bearing

Blackened GT

Established Member
The rattling only happens when the clutch is out and i can't hear it when its in gear. It kinda sounds like a rock rolling around.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Blackened GT said:
No I don't. but the factory one is self adjusting.

Well. Technically it is.

Drop the 80 bucks and buy a firewall adjuster and quadrant. You'll be happier and you won't have to worry about it.

MephistoGT

Established Member
obviously this is old but throw out bearings are in use when the clutch pedal is in, so that would mean your situation would involve the input shaft bearing if anything since it occurs when the clutch is out. That means its definitely inside the transmission, rip 'er open!

jfsram

Established Member
Blackened GT said:
The rattling only happens when the clutch is out and i can't hear it when its in gear. It kinda sounds like a rock rolling around.

Clutch out as in pedal up?

Clutch out and in gear = no noise.
Clutch out and in nuetral = noise or no noise?

How much do you have to press the pedal down to stop the noise?

Blackened GT

Established Member
This throw out bearing was put in this past March. It rattles when the clutch pedal is up/ when the clutch is engaged, the car is out of gear, and not moving.

jfsram

Established Member
It might be the fingers skimming the bearing or the linkage rattling as the fingers are just touching the bearing.

What happens when you apply the slightest pressure to the pedal. Not to disengage the clutch just to make the bearing contact the fingers and spin.

Users who are viewing this thread