Rattling noise after install of Bassani BX exhaust

airstang93

Established Member
Bought the Bassani BX off road x pipe and BX exhaust. Had it installed, sounded great for a day and now im hearing a rattle. I only hear it when im shifting gears, when i punch the gas peddle (loudest) or when im coasting to a lower speed. As soon as i step on the clutch, it goes away. No clue what it is. Took it back to the mechanic who installed and he said it sounds like its coming from inside the drivers side exhaust pipe. I have no cats so thats not the problem, all bolts were tight so its not a leak. Dont think it has anything to do with the clutch because it didnt do it before the exhaust was put on. Anyone dealt with this problem before? Its really annoying, i dont want to get on the car at all because it sounds like shit when i do. Any help would be appreciated...

Cobra of 1999

Established Member
check your 02 sensors.. mines stock, but when i got it the 02 sensor was a little loose, and rattled its ass off, esp while under a load, but when i pushed in the clutch, went away.. i really believe thats what it is good luck

airstang93

Established Member
thats the next step. we had it on the lift today while someone reved it up and it didnt appear anything was hitting each other. i have a video of the sound but im not sure how to upload it..

MikeRS1981

Established Member
Just installed an x and I also have a bad rattling sound and cant find anything loose either. Needless to say I ordered a Mac o/r h to replace it, sounds like the car is falling apart

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's not rubbing on anything is it? I've had a Bassani X for years and the only time it made bad noises is when the cats came apart.

airstang93

Established Member
yeah theres no cats, its really just a hollow piece of steel so i dont see how it can be that unless its vibrating against something. its hard to put it on the lift and find anything because it wont make the same noise when on the lift.. only when im actually driving around.. im going to swap the exhaust out with the stock and leave the xpipe on there and see if it goes away.. process of elimination now...

airstang93

Established Member
ok guys, i uploaded the video to youtube, link below.. you can hear the rattle right after i let off the gas... let me know if you guys can think of anything...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIS2DmOoJFg"]‪MOV01479.MPG‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

MikeRS1981

Established Member
Mine does the exact same thing. I posted it in a thread a couple weeks ago

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUEKjv7RYnI&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]‪01 cobra‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's a weird sound. I'm basically running an O/R X (gutted cats) and so is my buddy. Both are Bassanis and neither make that noise.

airstang93

Established Member
did you put an exhaust on it too or did u just put a new x on it? also what brand x did you buy and what type of exhaust is on the car if one was already on it?

01yellercobra

Established Member
did you put an exhaust on it too or did u just put a new x on it? also what brand x did you buy and what type of exhaust is on the car if one was already on it?

Is that for me? If so I'm running Bassani mids, Bassani X, and Borla Stingers. The X has been on the since 2005. I've had that X with a couple different set ups. First was stock manifolds and catback. Then stock manifolds and Mac catback. Followed by stock manifolds and the stingers. Until the stingers it was catted. The cats didn't fall apart until late last year after dealing with three blown motors.

My buddy has my old Mac catback with the Bassani O/R X. His car was stock before we put that on.

Users who are viewing this thread