Raxiom Chrome CCFL Halo Projector Headlights

achamb7

Established Member
Got these coming and wanna get the DDM Tuning HIDs. Which would be better, 55w or 35w? These will be getting tinted to match the flow with the rest of the car, the stock halogen just ain't cutting it. Already know I want the 6000K with high/low beam. Will the 55w work in these housings ok? If not will the 35w be enough output with the tint? Anyone have pics of these with or without tint, with or without HIDs?

willief23

Established Member
For your hids i would get the 35 watt hid kit. the 55 watt kit is hardly any brighter and the bulbs dont last nearly as long as the 35 watt ones. Plus the 55 watt produces more heat and could eventually melt wires or at the very
least cause some moisture inside the headlight housing which leads to fogged up lenses. Projector highlights i believe are meant more for halogen bulbs so getting the 55 watt hid kit will send scattered light everywhere and eventually melt the projector
housing if it isnt metal or damage it with the extra heat since the 55watt hid kit puts out way more heat then halogen bulbs
do that normally come stock on projector headlights.

I would stay away from DDM hid kit. There ballasts are garbage.
Had them in my previous car and they barely lasted 7-8 months before the ballast went out and my hid lights would flicker with the ddm kit. Never go cheap on hid kits especially for mustangs since we have drive by wire,
cruise control, traction control, tps sensors. Buying a cheap hid kit usually doesnt have emi filters in them and could lead to multiple sensors going haywire or stop working all together. If you want a good hid kit that isnt that
expensive but is really good i would look at kbcarstuff and get the Xtreme Digital HID kit since they use high quality philips hid bulbs and good ballasts. If you want slightly cheaper go with their Volt hid digital kit. Also for
color temp dont go over 6k. The higher up the color temp you go the less light or lumens you get. 4300k is the brightest and the whitest light. 5000k is a really good alternative if you want a slight blue color but is
still just as bright. I had the 5k color and it worked great.

For me personally when i do hids on my 2012 mustang i will be getting either DS2 Philips or Osram hid bulbs and the ballasts from either kbcarstuff or Morimoto 3Five DSP D2S Ballasts. Also you will most likely need this
harness so that you dont splice into your headlight wires. Web Store - ProjectoRetrofits
Another good thing about the kbcarstuff ballasts is that they have relay harnesses with each kit so that you draw
power directly from your battery and not draw power from just your headlight wires. Im not sure if the projectoretrofits harness link i listed above does the same thing it might.

Also tinting your headlight covers or smoking the lenses will diminish alot of the light output. Even with hids and smoked lenses its not much brighter then the stock halogen bulbs in our mustangs just a thought for you.
If you are set on smoked lenses for the headlights or having a blacked out lenses conver i would get 4300k hid bulbs and no higher since you want the brightest bulb possible with darker lenses. You could always just have someone paint the inside of the projector housing the color you want. This way it leaves the actual outside cover/lenses untouched and then you can get the 6k hid bulbs and still get the same effect as tinting the lenses but with way more light output.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Only run a 55W kit in a lens with enough cooling to support the extra heat. I also wouldn't run that power in a projector that's smaller than 3" lens diameter, with a glass lens, which I'm pretty sure the Raxiom is a plastic composite lens, which would definitely be affected by heat.

Pretty much what willief23 said other than my statements.

achamb7

Established Member
Well, before anyone responded, I ordered the 55w 8000k kit. Called and got them to swap the 55w for the 35w before they shipped. I had a DDM kit before, didn't have any problems with it. Hopefully this kit will work out.

willief23

Established Member
Post pics with the new hids im curious as to how it will look with the Raxiom.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
8000K. Bad choice. You will have poor visibility in the rain, and not much light output at night compared to a lower Kelvin.

DJinAC

The Escape Pod
Established Member
8000K. Bad choice. You will have poor visibility in the rain, and not much light output at night compared to a lower Kelvin.

Good Luck with the kit but I agree with dirty. 8000K is to high for a cars main lighting light output for 8000K varies from 1180 to 2000 lumens. Where as the standard 4300K varies from 3100 to 3400 lumens. You will notice a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread