Re-evaluate the G-Tech Competition...

ZXnVS

Established Member
A few guys have posted about buying the new G-Tech Competition Pro (a big improvement over just the 'Pro' model). Generally their comments have been met with yawns or outright derision.

I think this tool deserves a re-evaluation. Is it a professional-grade instrument? No. But since it costs $250 versus $3,000 (for a Vericom) I think a better question is whether it's worth the price. Note also that this device has upgradeable firmware, and revision 2.0 has just come out recently, with new features and a few bug fixes. If you haven't checked it out recently, go to their site. You can view the full user's manual in PDF format.

Most people seem to write off the G-Tech because it's reported accuracy in quarter mile speeds is off by several MPH. I think they're missing the point. As a training tool or a tool for evaluating the effectiveness of modifications, this is the ticket.

The Competition model features an LCD display which will simulate four different types of drag racing trees. You can select the "amateur" tree where each light goes off sequentially at .5 second intervals, or the "pro" tree where the first three lights go off simultaneously, followed 0.4 seconds later by the green. Using it's 3-axis accelerometer, it will read rollout (which can be specified by the user) and then give you your reaction time, your 60' time, 1/8 mile time, and quarter mile time (and the speeds at each point, of course).

Now tell me how you can realistally practice improving your reaction time and 60' foot time any other way for $250?

This device isn't only for drag racers, though, it's equally useful for auto-crossers. As I mentioned, the Competition model has a 3-axis accelerometer, so it can also read lateral G's! It has programmable shift lights which can also be used to indicate when a certain lateral G threshold has been reached. You want to find your cars real turning limits and be able to approach them consistently? It's hard to imagine a better training tool.

For those who aren't aware, the new model uses DSP to read engine RPMs by detecting the slight electrical pulses present at the cigarette lighter when a spark plug fires. This means the unit can (and does) graph HP vs. RPM and torque vs. RPM (you enter the vehicle weight, and power is estimated mathematically based on the acceleration of that amount of weight). You no longer need to use your "seat of the pants" dyno to find out whether your latest mod made your car faster. It will also tell you where in the rev range the improvement was most significant!

I was very skeptical about this unit when I first started investigating. As the above post reveals, I've been completely won over by what this product will do. For $250, I'd say this would improve most people's 1/4 mile times or auto-cross lap times much more than spending $250 on engine mods. (By the way, I am not associated with Tesla in any way, shape or form.)

Last edited:

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
Good writeup !!! It does sound like a good home tuning tool for $250.

Thanks,

hwystr

Established Member
Sounds good, and I liked the original G-tech (simple and easy to see, a vericom is HUGE). Can you download the data to a PC - would be nice to print HP/TQ curves.:shrug:

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by hwystr
Sounds good, and I liked the original G-tech (simple and easy to see, a vericom is HUGE). Can you download the data to a PC - would be nice to print HP/TQ curves.:shrug:

Yes. According to the website a serial cable is included.

As for the Tazzo, it's definitely cheaper, but after researching both I'm sold on the Competition Pro. Tazzo's website isn't up-to-date on the new features of the 2.0 firmware from G-Tech, by the way, so if you're considering which to buy check both sites thoroughly. Also check out NetworkingGuru's recent post where he compared actual time slips to the figures reported by his Comp Pro. The accuracy was very impressive, with the exception of the estimated HP and torque, which varied quite a bit (but the Tazzo doesn't even attempt to estimate that).

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
(By the way, I am not associated with Tesla in any way, shape or form.)
You shoud be, you would make a great salesman..... (sorry for all the posts, just trying to get out of the "Rookie" status)

Users who are viewing this thread