Re-Sale values of 03/04

dlong

Established Member
Before I start this rant, the opinions expressed are mine. If I offend anyone, tuff! Stop reading. First and foremost I am an avid Ford and Mustang advocate and believe that Ford has done an exceptional job through the years with respect to the Mustang. History could have very easily gone the other direction with the Mustang dying a slow death instead of the Camero. Do I agree with everything Ford has decided with respect to the Mustang? No way. But you have to admit that Ford continues to carry on the tradition we all have come to love and respect.

Which brings me to the reason for my post. I sold my 8500 mile 03 Cobra last week for $26000, which was virtually payoff. This car was flawless. Never driven in the rain or abused. This sum in my opinion was well below market value and in large part due to negative press and posts that have been proliferated throughout this and other Mustang websites. I am of the belief that the incessant and continual ranting and finger pointing some have directed at Ford and the 03 - 04 has caused the re-sale value of the these Cobras to stagnate. While I do acknowledge that the new body change is partly to blame it is not the major factor. I advertised my car in the Autotrader and only received one inquiry after 6 weeks. And that was from a broker from a local leasing company that was seeking a stock low mileage un-molested 03 Cobra for a client. After visiting with me, he immediately drove to my home to view the car and put a retainer down. He stated that he found plenty of 03 – 04 Cobras for sale, but that the majority of them had been modified or had evidence or mods or were high mileage. I purchased my Cobra in Oct of 03 long after they had been unveiled and with a 2500 rebate. I decided from the start to keep my car stock. I did not experience any of the issues that seemed to plague many. A majority of the issues in my opinion are the direct result of abuse and mods. I know! Some of you out there are yelling at your monitors because you also chose not to mod or abuse your car, but have experienced issues anyway. I think we can all agree that every new design or first issue car will most likely experience some issues. That is a given. But when a majority of the owners of a particular model decide to modify the car beyond or above what the car manufacture intends, there are going to be issues. And when the vast majority of owners abuse, race, modify, melt the tires just to impress, bump up the boost etc. you are going to cause stress to any car which in turn causes problems. Again some of you are yelling and screaming at your monitors saying “ But this car is made for racing, it should be able to withstand any punishment I dish out” or “Ford should have made this car more bullet proof. They knew full well the market and car that we fellow mustang owners demanded” And on and on and on. While all of these may be true, Ford from the start stated that they would warrant the car with a 3yr/36000 warranty as long as the car was used as intended. Everyone out there understands this. Some of you have made the choice to mod saying that you will take the chance if something goes wrong. That is the responsible attitude to have. Which brings me back to the reason for my post. The stagnate resale value is due to various issues, but 98% of those issues can be put at the feet of 03 / 04 Cobra owners. All one has to do is peruse the various post over the last year or so to see the constant bitching and griping and finger pointing exhibited on this forum. It never ceases to amaze me when someone would comment with excitement upon seeing my new Cobra and after asking the usual questions would eventually pose that one question I knew was coming “ I hear these cars have a lot of issues or problems.” This my fellow cobra owners speaks volumes coming from non-mustang owners or casual observers. You’re kidding yourselves if you think that Ford Corp, Dealers, non-mustang, Camero and Vette owners don’t read our forums. They do so on a regular basis. Several times upon taking my car in to the local dealer for service my service rep whom I’ve known for several years would comment about a post from this or other mustang forums. You can’t expect them to turn a blind eye or ear away from our incognito mods or cover-ups when some of you mod or abuse your cars and then try to hold Ford responsible.

Am I through with Mustangs? I dare say NOT. As you can see from my signature I still own two mustangs and have my sights set on the 07 Cobra. I will continue to give credit were credit is due whether it be Ford or Ford Dealers or owners. But I also reserve the right to criticize those same people when I perceive them to be causing harm to our grand pony. Hopefully we owners and enthusiasts of one of the top five greatest cars in history will learn that negative comments, attitudes, opinions usually only end up hurting us and our pocket books and that is evident by the present re-sale values or lack there-of.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You think the rest of us hurt you resale value by modding and "abusing" our cars? ROFLMAO... Dude its a FORD, it lost it resale value when you drove it off the lot. Be glad you got 26K for it. If you got the 2500 dollar rebate, then you paid in the neighborhood of 32k for it, and you were able to unload for 26k. Considering left overs on the lots now are going for 30K range you did good.

Great8

Pulley-less in Motown
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Sssnake
You think the rest of us hurt you resale value by modding and "abusing" our cars? ROFLMAO... Dude its a FORD, it lost it resale value when you drove it off the lot. Be glad you got 26K for it. If you got the 2500 dollar rebate, then you paid in the neighborhood of 32k for it, and you were able to unload for 26k. Considering left overs on the lots now are going for 30K range you did good.

Ditto. There are still Terminators sitting on dealers lots throughout the country, be happy you got that much. These cars weren't perfect from the factory, a reason that affects resale more than modding/racing or internet rants. These cars are based on a platform that is over a generation old. And don't forget, it's still a Mustang.

Shanezam203

Established Member
even before buying my car, I realized it wasnt going to be an investment. More than getting a used car, I knew the value was going to go down as the miles went up. Its like all cars, for some reason our car's resale value is just pretty bad. Thats why when I got it I really debated the purchase before hand. Sorry you lost as much as you did. Hope you had some fun along the way, and good thing you got 26.

Shane

lethal

Established Member
For some reason, you think:

1. We don't know modding our car will affect its value.
2. We bitch and moan at the slightest problem.
3. Most of us purchase the car as an investment.
4. At any time, we'd be willing to sell the car.

I'm well aware of all the changes I do to my car, do I care about resale? I bought this car to drive, enjoy, mod the hell out of, blow up, rebuild and tinker with as my toy of choice.

If I wanted something that kept its value, I would have bought some sort of import.... but then again, who wants to drive those? Not me.

John

EDIT: And for those of you reading from Ford, Chevy, or anyone else on the planet.... this car, by far, has been one of the best purchases of my life, and I will drive this car silly, blow it up and pay for all the repairs myself. Never in the history of street performance cars has there been a more mod friendly, squeaking, fluid dripping, creeking, tire burning, shit-eating grin producing monster on the road. If your complaining about this car and you are not smart enough to realize you did something to it and monkeyed it up, then you should sell it quick. If you have not modified the car and Ford warrenty service won't work for you .. sell it. If you are like 98% of us and realize the ball is our court when we push this vehicle to the extreme, the other 2% need to sell and get out of our way.

Last edited:

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
I understand what you are saying here, but what I don't understand is why people expect this car to hold its value. Why buy a car, and sell it a year later expecting not to lose any money, or to lose very little. Its not a house, its a car. I don't see any other cars out there that don't lose their value when its driven off the lot. My wifes Trailblazer lost a few grand when I drove it off the lot. Big deal. I don't go through a new car every year.

If people are so concerned with this, why don't they just start leasing cars? I think most of bought our cars with the intentions of holding on to them until they fall apart. I have no sympathy for somebody who buys a car, sells it a year later, and have the nerve to complain about the resale value being so low. :cryying:

IDAREU

Banned
Be happy you got $26,000.
I have been offered 03's for less than $20,000 from a few different sellers.
I agree word of mouth is the most powerful advertisement a car can have. But when it turns negative because of the Tick, Vibe, Clunk, paint quality the buyers of these cars are now thinking twice about dropping $20,000 into a Mustang with a history.
I blame the greedy management at Ford!

Justicem

06/26/02 #1018
Established Member
I've had my 03 since july 02 and I still look forward to drive it everyday. I love the power it has. but lets face it.......... Its a mustang with a supercharger. Thats it. To the untrained eye, it could be a 14k 6 cylinder.

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Originally posted by Justicem
.....To the untrained eye, it could be a 14k 6 cylinder.

And when that untrained eye witnesses the power unleashed as they try and race it, the look is priceless! :eek: :eek: :rockon:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by dlong
...purchased my Cobra in Oct of 03...with a 2500 rebate.
...I sold my 8500 mile 03 Cobra last week for $26000
...in my opinion was well below market value
You got a fair market price for your car.

You should have paid about $29K for a non-anniversary '03 Cobra coupe IF you shopped aggressively and got the $2500 rebate last year. If you paid substantially more than that, then you paid too much...especially for a knowledgeable buyer reading this message board.

After one year and 8,500 miles, you sold the car for $26,000. Unless you paid too much in the first place, that's a 1 year depreciation amount of $3,000 (or 12%), which is not bad at all. Heck, most cars lose that much value when you drive them of the dealer's lot.

You should actually feel pretty good about that sale price. What were you expecting to sell the car for?!?! :shrug:

-Greg

Pyro

Established Member
I dont know about anyone else but I love my Crustang, Shitstang, Slobra, or whatever you want to call it regardless of any complaints I, or anyone else might have.

My son is barely 3 years old and one of his first complete sentences was, "Daddy, can I have your car?". I thought to myself, it's a done deal...the car is his when he turns 16!! That sentence made me a proud dad!!

inteller

Established Member
yes but a smart daddy will give the car to his kid when he learns not to wrap it around a pole.

Friendchicken

Well, you have to look at the % depreciation on an 03 cobra to current resale value. The cars were bought for an average of $33k and they are sold 1 year used for $25k. Basically a 25% drop after one year.

Now take the same scenario and apply it to a modestly appointed 2003 GT and tell me it won't be greater than 25% drop after 1 year. After looking at the 2004 new vs 2004 used GT, a 40% drop was common.

Yes, our cars will depreciate like any other car... but we are told that it will hold a higher % resale value over the GT.

Last edited by a moderator:

fatcobra

Established Member
last time I checked the front of my car has Ford on it not Ferrari not Porsche not Lambo. So being that its not an exotic (even though it can perform as one) I knew it wouldn't hold its value. Shoot if you think that is bad look at Viper owners they pay 80-100k for their cars and in a short and lets see you can go on ebay now and pick up a 2003 model with 5k miles on it for the sum of 65k, now losing 4k on my car seems alot better then 15-35k.

here is the link to the viper I speak of

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6209&item=2496070604&rd=1

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by inteller
yes but a smart daddy will give the car to his kid when he learns not to wrap it around a pole.

Good point. I thought of that after I posted. Hell, he can learn to drive and get experience in the Dodge Colt Vista Wagon. By then, it should only have 400K miles on it.:-D

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Be like me and never drive the thing. I haven't turned it on in three weeks cause I work so much. Everytime I drive it it's like a new car. I love it. :beer: going for a loooong drive this weekend.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Originally posted by fatcobra
last time I checked the front of my car has Ford on it not Ferrari not Porsche not Lambo.

Those cars depreciate faster than cobras on a % base anyways, unless its an extremely limited production series like the Enzo or Carrera GT.

High end BMW and Mercedes models are the absolute worst.

As far as the original topic:
We went through this a few weeks ago on this site; start treating your cars as a sunk cost, you'll most likely be happier.

If your not, and are worried about resale value/equity retention of a vehicle, then you really shouldn't be buying that particular car as its too expensive for you.

EDIT: Unless I missed it, why did you sell your 03 dlong?

Last edited:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
What you have to do..its buy the new performance car you want(Cobra) Mustang)....enjoy and take care of it...and also buy a classic musclecar you like and then sell it for more...do that again..and then again and then again and again...so you keep making money on the side to offset the loss of the new performance car(Cobra Mustang)you bought to collect for the future.....so by the time the 2003/2004 Cobra is way up in value..you will have enough money to purchase a 2030 25,000 horsepower Cobra Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread