READ FIRST: The Lowdown on Worthwhile Basic Mods for 96-98 Cobra, sticky please

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgurleyjr

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
Is a K&N filter almost as good as a JLT intake? What do you think is the difference in HP? Would swapping to the 99/01 heads and intake be worth the HP and torque?

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
rgurleyjr said:
Is a K&N filter almost as good as a JLT intake? What do you think is the difference in HP? Would swapping to the 99/01 heads and intake be worth the HP and torque?

Not even close. A K&N filter is less restriction, but not particularly noticable. The real power comes from the wider/smoother tube on the JLT. It's probably a 10rwhp difference between the two. Switching to 99/01 heads would make more power, but I don't know if it's worth the effort/money necessarily, there's other ways to make the car faster without all that extra work.

rgurleyjr

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
Okay, thanks. This is an awesome write-up. I'm saved some money by not buying some parts I thought would make a big difference.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
3 hours of typing and I'm finally "finished" with suspension stuff. (sigh)...whatever.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
usa97svtcobra said:
I am not into modifying cars, but that was extremely well articulated. Well done!!

Thank you! :beer:

I will now retire with my fellow nerds to the nerdery.:D

blackcobra_97

Talked to a guy at SHM and told him I have a 97 cobra with K&N and offroad X pipe, and was asking about power gains with cams. He said with my setup I should see 50-60rwhp with their Stage 2 cams, throttle body and longtubes. How cool would that be?:beer:

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
blackcobra_97 said:
Talked to a guy at SHM and told him I have a 97 cobra with K&N and offroad X pipe, and was asking about power gains with cams. He said with my setup I should see 50-60rwhp with their Stage 2 cams, throttle body and longtubes. How cool would that be?:beer:

The longtubes would be half of that gain, and the throttle body would be a whopping 3 rwhp. You're wasting your time talking with SHM. They make some good shit, but it comes with a serious pricetag and the worst customer service in the business. If you stick to the stuff that I (and others) contributed, you'll make more power for cheaper. Cams will definately wake the car up, but don't waste money on them until you've run out of other options.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
The stock ones are pretty decent, but a few cheap and effective parts that would help them are steel-braided front brake lines and some Hawk or Performance Friction brake pads.

fejwe

Established Member
Love the suspension tech info--I learned quite a bit. Just curious--are Panhard bars worth mentioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread