Really Odd Thing With The Clutch

Matt M PA

Established Member
Since new, I thought my '03 had a very heavy clutch...more like my former 1970 440 4 speed Mopar. I also have a 2000 Viper that has the same trans, albeit with a hydraulic clutch.

The TOB has been making a racket now for 6 months, so I bit the bullet and got it all done, clutch, pressure plate, TOB. The car has been getting tough to shift at times too. 35,000 miles...and I'm not all that hard on the car.

When my tech removed the trans, etc...he found that the fork was missing one of the fingers! And...it looks like it was that way since new. He also found no evidence of pivot points ever being lubed.

Needless to say, it's a completely different car now. Shift effort is better, clutch is tons easier to depress.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Most aftermarket clutches are, do you mean one of the fingers on the pressure plate were missing?

Matt M PA

Established Member
I saw the original clutch fork...and where it has two "fingers" for the TOB...one was missing.

I drove a fair distance today and found that I have a slight vibration if you ever so lightly touch your foot to the pedal. Seems to be RPM sensitive..but have not driven enough to sort that out.

Helomech74

Established Member
I drove a fair distance today and found that I have a slight vibration if you ever so lightly touch your foot to the pedal. Seems to be RPM sensitive..but have not driven enough to sort that out.

Sounds like the TOB is skipping across the fingers on the pressure plate. This will cause a vibration that is RPM sensitive and can be corrected by adjusting the clutch cable. Do you have a Firewall adjuster and new quadrant, or is it all still stock parts?

Matt M PA

Established Member
It is all stock stuff put back in. My tech figured with the Cobra being my daily driver....it made sense to do so. (This is not a Ford tech, but an exceptionally good local guy)

I have no problem in going to an adjustable quadrant...or whatever else weill stop the vibration.

I can say that I was able to determine last night that the vibration is also there when in neutral and I simply rev the engine while lighlty touching the pedal. If I apply more pressure...the vibration stops.

Thanks for all the help guys!

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I saw the original clutch fork...and where it has two "fingers" for the TOB...one was missing.

oh i see, not good but at least you got that taken care of

Sounds like the TOB is skipping across the fingers on the pressure plate. This will cause a vibration that is RPM sensitive and can be corrected by adjusting the clutch cable. Do you have a Firewall adjuster and new quadrant, or is it all still stock parts?

I agree

You may want to get that taken care of asap bc it can cause an issue later on down the road.

You can check this by pulling to cover plate off the bell and taking a look at the tob while the car is running and the clutch is engaged. It'll only take a few mins. I would strongly suggest in investing in an aftermarket firewall adjuster adn quadrant.

:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread