really stupid oil question...

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
ok, so .. time to change my oil.
What oil does for recomend? is it 5w30? i don't have my service manual, so i don't know. thanks.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
5w-30 is whats recommended. I think it says it under the hood somewhere. My Mach has 5w-20 (not sure why the newer model require thinner) written on the oil cap.

Sivstang

The Gigitty man!
Established Member
I have a question as well if ya don't mind a little high jacking.. I'm looking at doing an oil change on my cobra today, which oil would guys recommend for a 131k mile 5.0 engine, also I was planning on buying a can of sea foam to put in the crank case to give her a lil cleaning before the change, how many miles should I drive with the sea foam in the crank case?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Sivstang said:
I have a question as well if ya don't mind a little high jacking.. I'm looking at doing an oil change on my cobra today, which oil would guys recommend for a 131k mile 5.0 engine, also I was planning on buying a can of sea foam to put in the crank case to give her a lil cleaning before the change, how many miles should I drive with the sea foam in the crank case?

I recommend Mobil 1. It's a very good oil.

I ran seafoam through the oil once on my Cobra. I put it in the night before I planned on changing it and drove around that night, probably around 50-60 miles. Changed it first thing the next day.

Sivstang

The Gigitty man!
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
I recommend Mobil 1. It's a very good oil.

I ran seafoam through the oil once on my Cobra. I put it in the night before I planned on changing it and drove around that night, probably around 50-60 miles. Changed it first thing the next day.

How did it act? I have been reading to run it through 3k miles or so, seems a little to long too me. Also what weight should I go with?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
You couldn't tell it was in there. No unusual noises or noticeable change in how it ran.

3k seems a little long to me too. I don't think I'd go over 500 miles before changing.

What weight of oil? I believe 5.0's call for a 10w-30. I could be wrong because it's been a long time since I've messed with anything other than a modular.

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
5w-30 is whats recommended. I think it says it under the hood somewhere. My Mach has 5w-20 (not sure why the newer model require thinner) written on the oil cap.

Ford changed to a thinner oil for one reason only...C.A.F.E.(combined average fleet economy). The thinner oil gets better fuel economy which helps meet strick gov't standards.

I use 10w30 Mobil 1 and it eliminates blowby.

There's a very reputable SVTP member on here, his name is QUADCAMMER and he has done plenty of wear tests in the 0w-30 German Castrol to show that it protects significantly better than the other motor oils out there. His results are legit as far as I'm concerned and won't spare any cost for my baby.

Users who are viewing this thread