Really? This Qualifies For "Stand Your Ground"

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Retarded... Shooter should not have shot, thats common sense and now this story will be food for the shout racism community

True they will be shouting racist up one side and down the other over this. That being said "stand your ground" in most states says you do not have to back away and can defend yourself from attack. The guy "attacked" the shooter physically assaulting him to the point of a vicious shove to the ground. Having that happen you could assume under common sense that he would pursue the attack. Most stand your ground say you only need reasonable of fear if death or bodily harm in order to use lethal force. This was in affect once he had been thrown to the ground. This is most likely why they did not recommend prosecution. Whether he was backing up before or after he was shot I do not know, wasn't there. Once a threat is started you have the right to use force to stop it which he did.

MG0h3

Established Member
I’m a CCW person. I know other CCW people that carry all the time.
Personally, I rarely carry unless I absolutely feel the need to do so.

When is that?
I do carry when Im RVing and staying in state parks, national parks, the wilderness, etc. I also carry if I’m going to be in area of high crime, which is rare.

Thats just me and my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All good man and I'm glad you do. Along with everyone else that carries in here. Just remember, it carries a lot of responsibility. This guy couldn't handle that responsibility in my opinion.

My point is this; just because you carry doesn't mean you should whip it out and start blasting away when not necessary. I really don't understand how anybody could argue that his life was in danger.

Maybe I'm just biased since I carry 5 days a week. Since I'm exposed to physical confrontation while my gun is on my belt so often, I see this video and just shake my head.

If I opened up like this pussy did I'd have a few hundred kills under my belt by now. But then again, I'd be in jail after the first one.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
All good man and I'm glad you do. Along with everyone else that carries in here. Just remember, it carries a lot of responsibility. This guy couldn't handle that responsibility in my opinion.

My point is this; just because you carry doesn't mean you should whip it out and start blasting away when not necessary. I really don't understand how anybody could argue that his life was in danger.

Maybe I'm just biased since I carry 5 days a week. Since I'm exposed to physical confrontation while my gun is on my belt so often, I see this video and just shake my head.

If I opened up like this pussy did I'd have a few hundred kills under my belt by now. But then again, I'd be in jail after the first one.

No argument there and agree with you 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
My point is this; just because you carry doesn't mean you should whip it out and start blasting away when not necessary. I really don't understand how anybody could argue that his life was in danger..

Really. How about this. Man had just been violently knocked to the ground. Who is to say a kick to the head is not next? Man on the ground does not know what is about to happen next.

This is just another situation that should not have happened. Man should not have parked there. Other guy should not have argued about it. Man should not have become violent over it. A chain of events that led to tragedy.

I carry all the time and live in a area that is not known as a bad area. But I know my surroundings and stay away from getting into those situations.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
True they will be shouting racist up one side and down the other over this. That being said "stand your ground" in most states says you do not have to back away and can defend yourself from attack. The guy "attacked" the shooter physically assaulting him to the point of a vicious shove to the ground. Having that happen you could assume under common sense that he would pursue the attack. Most stand your ground say you only need reasonable of fear if death or bodily harm in order to use lethal force. This was in affect once he had been thrown to the ground. This is most likely why they did not recommend prosecution. Whether he was backing up before or after he was shot I do not know, wasn't there. Once a threat is started you have the right to use force to stop it which he did.

Really. How about this. Man had just been violently knocked to the ground. Who is to say a kick to the head is not next? Man on the ground does not know what is about to happen next.

This is just another situation that should not have happened. Man should not have parked there. Other guy should not have argued about it. Man should not have become violent over it. A chain of events that led to tragedy.

I carry all the time and live in a area that is not known as a bad area. But I know my surroundings and stay away from getting into those situations.

You need to watch the whole video.

Ohio Snake

Established Member

I don’t think we know exactly what happened ( verbally) and all we see is the video actions taken and past actions of the gunman. Lots of assumptions to conclude how each of us would act in that situation.

From what I “saw”, the gunman could have retreated. FL may not require retreat, but the state I live in would require retreat if possible to avoid deadly force in this situation from what I saw in the video.

However, I understand both sides of the argument.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
You need to watch the whole video.

I did unless there is more then what was in the OP. Chain of events.

0 - 12 sec man is shown arguing with person in car.
12 sec man emerges from store
17 seconds man shoves person arguing with person in car
19 seconds man fall hit the ground
20 seconds man stops moving forward
22 seconds man fires weapon

So there is 2 seconds from the time the aggressor stops till he is shot. Now if you are the one that has just been thrown to the ground what do you do? Wait and hope nothing else happens? Wait and get a kick to the head? You have to make a instant decision on what to do. Put yourself in that position. You have just been assaulted and knocked to the ground, you do nothing hoping for the best? There have been way too many assaults that have resulted in bodily harm or worse over the past years. I for one would never have been in the position because it I see someone parked in a handicapped slot I will assume they are handicapped.

blk02edge

Established Member
Not really. Maybe people will start learning not to assault people over someone being right about a parking spot. The idiot should never have attacked to start with. My bet is, he felt disrespected and wanted to teach the shooter a lesson in front of his kids. I hope his kids grow up knowing assaulting a shit talker is not the way to handle business.

Like I said, I go out of my way to be polite when I carry because when I give someone a sucking head wound it will be obvious that it was earned. Pride killed a man, some dumb shit to die over.
Soooo you DONT go around looking for a fight? Got it... Thats the great difference between what you are trying to say vs this situation and the one and only reason im against it

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I did unless there is more then what was in the OP. Chain of events.

0 - 12 sec man is shown arguing with person in car.
12 sec man emerges from store
17 seconds man shoves person arguing with person in car
19 seconds man fall hit the ground
20 seconds man stops moving forward
22 seconds man fires weapon

So there is 2 seconds from the time the aggressor stops till he is shot. Now if you are the one that has just been thrown to the ground what do you do? Wait and hope nothing else happens? Wait and get a kick to the head? You have to make a instant decision on what to do. Put yourself in that position. You have just been assaulted and knocked to the ground, you do nothing hoping for the best? There have been way too many assaults that have resulted in bodily harm or worse over the past years. I for one would never have been in the position because it I see someone parked in a handicapped slot I will assume they are handicapped.

That moment of truth after the shooter pulled his gun is where I believe he ****ed up. The guy was not advancing on him after shoving him. After he pulled the gun the guy backed up and had actually turned his body with one foot facing back towards the store when he was shot. There was a hesitation there, long enough to realize the guy had backed up and he didn't need to shoot. He decided to go ahead and shoot anyways. If the guy was standing over the top of him or still advancing on him that'd be a different story but that's not the case.

bglf83

Established Member
That moment of truth after the shooter pulled his gun is where I believe he ****ed up. The guy was not advancing on him after shoving him. After he pulled the gun the guy backed up and had actually turned his body with one foot facing back towards the store when he was shot. There was a hesitation there, long enough to realize the guy had backed up and he didn't need to shoot. He decided to go ahead and shoot anyways. If the guy was standing over the top of him or still advancing on him that'd be a different story but that's not the case.
I did not watch the video. Stepping back does not mean the threat is over. The guy that made it physical will likely be found at fault.

Lots of armchair quarter back super dudes in here. No one ever has the right to lay their hands on another person.

Old saying is an armed society is a polite society. People think twice about attacking someone.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
You don't have to be a ****. So, there's no reason, never ever ever, why an assailant might legitimately end up with an entry wound in the back? Not talking about this particular case. I'm talking EVER.

Can you think of a time when it would fit ?
Not being an ass , in fact I am the guy that believes in jury nulification when I have been there to serve my duty.

I carry , and I will never shoot you nor anyone else in the back .
That is not an option .
Thanks for your concern

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member

That is the point upon which everything here is based. That 2 seconds where do I shoot of do I not. You call the guy on the ground a pussy or whatever for shooting but until you are in that situation you do not know. Once you have that fear for your life you are probably not going to react as a lot on here say he should have. Most people will never have known what being afraid for their life is. Yeah I know, I am a big strong heman and nothing frightens me, but there is a point somewhere where you will be afraid. I have no idea what was going thru this guys mind when he was assaulted but I am guessing he was scared. I do not know if he had handgun training or not. As I said he should never have gotten into that situation in the first place.

Last edited:

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
1. The shooter was on the ground. How does he "retreat" in a reasonable fashion in the middle of an assault?
2. The video I just watched was in slow motion at the end. This makes it look like he had days to decide if the threat was over. Really, the shooter had 1 or 2 seconds to make a decision.
3. Shooter's past actions are irrelevant to the SYG law.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
What do you think:

1.) Did the patron in the blue shirt tell the victim his girlfriend was being verbally abused or assaulted in the parking lot? Just wondering.
OR
Did he just say there’s an argument going on in the parking lot. Just wondering.

2.) Did the girlfriend get out of the car because she saw her boyfriend (the victim and her safety backup) approach the gunman to defend a potential threat on her? Just wondering.
OR
Did she get of the car to argue? Just wondering.

3.) Did the victim forcefully shove the gunman down to get him away from his girlfriend? The victim seemed to step back between his girlfriend and the gunman. Just wondering.
OR
Did the victim flat out attack the gunman in an attempt to cause bodily harm or death? The victim seemed to step back between his girlfriend and the gunman? Hmm?

I wish there was audio and we could here the interviews from more witnesses at the scene.

Was the victim standing his ground to protect his girlfriend?
OR
Was the gunman standing his ground because he felt he could be the recipient of bodily harm or death? Or was the gunman just pissed and gun the victim down?

Just wandering!

Ohio Snake

Established Member
What do you think:

1.) Did the patron in the blue shirt tell the victim his girlfriend was being verbally abused or assaulted in the parking lot? Just wondering.
OR
Did he just say there’s an argument going on in the parking lot. Just wondering.

2.) Did the girlfriend get out of the car because she saw her boyfriend (the victim and her safety backup) approach the gunman to defend a potential threat on her? Just wondering.
OR
Did she get of the car to argue? Just wondering.

3.) Did the victim forcefully shove the gunman down to get him away from his girlfriend? The victim seemed to step back between his girlfriend and the gunman. Just wondering.
OR
Did the victim flat out attack the gunman in an attempt to cause bodily harm or death? The victim seemed to step back between his girlfriend and the gunman? Hmm?

I wish there was audio and we could hear the interviews from more witnesses at the scene.

Was the victim standing his ground to protect his girlfriend?
OR
Was the gunman standing his ground because he felt he could be the recipient of bodily harm or death? Or was the gunman just pissed and gun the victim down?

Just wandering!

Edit was not working. I changed the word “here”to “hear”.

blubyu87gt

Established Member
Can you think of a time when it would fit ?
Not being an ass , in fact I am the guy that believes in jury nulification when I have been there to serve my duty.

I carry , and I will never shoot you nor anyone else in the back .
That is not an option .
Thanks for your concern
Chuck Norris with knife legs like Gazelle (from the movie Kingsmen). He attempts a spinning roundhouse kick. Misses. In that small moment he has his back to you then you take the shot.

Obviously made up, since Chuck Norris never misses and Guns carry Chuck Norris for protection. But you never specifically said a real example.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
That is the point upon which everything here is based. That 2 seconds where do I shoot of do I not. You call the guy on the ground a pussy or whatever for shooting but until you are in that situation you do not know. Once you have that fear for your life you are probably not going to react as a lot on here say he should have. Most people will never have known what being afraid for their life is. Yeah I know, I am a big strong heman and nothing frightens me, but there is a point somewhere where you will be afraid. I have no idea what was going thru this guys mind when he was assaulted but I am guessing he was scared. I do not know if he had handgun training or not. But I can tell you if this have been a plain clothes LEO who hAs I said he should never have gotten into that situation in the first place.

Well first of all I never called him anything other than "the shooter." Second of all this is SVTP and we are never afraid. But seriously, I've been in a few hairy situations, but I remove myself from them because I do carry and I don't ever want to have to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread