Rear brake caliper bracket

bwahl602

Established Member
I just installed new pads and rotors on the mach. The drivers side rear pad does not seem to be making a full contact patch with the rotor. The outer pad seems to only be fully contacting the outer 75% of the rotor.

Are the rear caliper brackets known for bending/deforming. I had a constant squeak from the old pads/rotor at this wheel before as well. Looking at the contact patch, im thinking the caliper bracket is bent. The passenger side makes a full, consistent contact patch with the rotor (you can see where the pads wore off the zinc coating) ive got a good 30 miles on them now

here is what im talking about. The inner 25% isnt making consistent contact like the outer. The line on the inside is where it contact to, should be consistent color change all the way across the surface. Opinions?
a9708d6d.jpg

??

Bill

bwahl602

Established Member
Well so far the brakes have caused no issues.

I've also been struggling with a strange loud screech coming from the rear. Additionally, I took the car for a test drive after the alignment and found the rear end all over the place. Rolling 2nd launch was scary as he'll. Did a visual inspection under the car yesterday and couldn't locate the source of the rear end wiggle or the screech. Pried on all the links and cycled the suspension. Found nothing.
Today I redid the visual inspection and still came up with nothing. Took the car for a test drive through some windy roads and the rear end was flat out wild. So now I'm frustrated, cant see the problem and don't want to take off the control arms unless I have to to inspect each bushing. Plus the lower and upper control arms have less then 5k miles on them. New factory uppers from mm and mm hd lcas.
So I decided to beat on the car a little on the way home figuring I'd be able to see the problem after all of these clunks.
Get home, put the car up and there it is. The brand new mm lca is moving 1/2 inch forward and back at the chassis side. Remember these have 5k mile and no race time

a2f12bb2.jpg

Control arm was wiggling around and bushing was coming out of it.
30529f54.jpg
not supposed to look like this huh?

I'm gonna call mm tomorrow. I'm hoping they can help me out here. Every suspension part on my car is made by mm. But I'm not gonna be happy with a new set of bushings. It's obvious that even with the spherical bushing at the axle end, there is still a significant amount of bind. Unexceptable for this low mileage.
I'm hoping I can send them in and get credit towards some of the extreme duty ones.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Also, yesterday I ordered a MM panhard bar. Im not very excited to install this thing, but i figured its a necessary mod since i was having so much axle movement (and still assuming the control arms were fine since they were new). Maybe if I stay with the poly chassis bushings the panhard will prevent this bind/damage. Ive also got Magnaflow exhaust, so Im gonna have to replace the tailpipes.. wtf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread