Rear Brake Calipers

mobeydick

Established Member
I was installing new stock rear pads on mine this afternoon. 38,500 miles and I don't think I could have gotten 40,000 miles. I have run into a problem though. I cannot compress the caliper. Parking brake is disengaged. Bleed is open.

Any hint here guys. Any special tools needed.

I have replaced brake pads and shoes on over 100 vehicles. This one I may have to take some gas and a match to.

6-Speed

Established Member
I used a brake caliper tool with an adapter plate that fit into the two notches on the face of the piston. You have to turn the piston clock-wise while simultaneously applying forward pressure to the face of the piston to get it to reset. The tool has a backing plate that presses against the opposite side of the caliper. You have to incrementally turn the piston in and reset the backing plate with the collar to keep the tool from binding as the piston moves further into the caliper.

It took a lot of effort to turn the piston, even with the tool. Just be careful not to tear the boot. You can borrow the tool from many chain auto parts stores like Autozone or Checkers.

Here's a thread that might help:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-279/655290-replacing-rear-brake-pads.html

IMG_4318.jpg

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
I agree it takes ALOT of pressure to screw it in, but once you get started it goes a little easier. Just screw the caliper in until it's flush.

Users who are viewing this thread