Rear Brake Installation Tips

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I did a little research and didn't come up with a whole lot for a rear brake install. So here's a few tips for those of you who do this in the future...

Tip #1:

Prior to removing the bottom 15mm caliper bracket bolt, remove the emergency brake cable. Use a good size screw driver or pry bar to compress the e-brake spring. Use a pair of needle nose to pull up on the cable itself. It comes off quite easily...just put a little muscle into it.

b8k19v.jpg

Tip #2:

Remove the 8mm bolt holding the brake line bracket to the upper control arm. This will give you a little more slack in the brake line which will come in handy when removing the rotor and / or installing the pads.

b8jyc4.jpg

Tip #3:

Remove the bracket attached to the lower control arm that holds the e-brake cable in place (8mm bolt). It'll free up a plenty of slack and you'll be able to clearly remove it from the caliper. This is important because it's damned near impossible to get the lower caliper bracket bolt back on if you don't remove the emergency brake cable.

b8k32c.jpg

Tip #4:

Do NOT let your pads get this bad!!! :bash: Gotta get a line lock! :-D

b8k3eo.jpg

The finished product...just Brembo replacement rotors and Hawk pads...nothing crazy, but they were still pretty expensive.

b8k41s.jpg

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
03sonicsvt said:
Nice tips...Good luck with the hawk pads. My front ones squeal like a beeeeootch!!!

I intentionally got Hawk ceramics to avoid squeaking and dusting. They're great so far.

Users who are viewing this thread