Rear Brake Pads 03 Cobra

tomsgarage

Established Member
I am in the process of replacing my rear brake pads and rotors, and I am having a little difficulty. The pads are Factory Ford pads, and I have had the rotors turned. I have the piston and the ratchet for the parking brake fully depressed into the caliper, but the pads are to thick!

Anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
The rear caliper pistons are notched. There is a button on the pad that fits into that notch. Make sure those line up. Also, the rear pistons need to be screwed in, nut jsut pushed.

tomsgarage

Established Member
Well, returned the pads today for another set, and the new pads are about an 1/8" of an inch thinner! So they should work. The only difference in the pads are that the first ones were Ford Factory Pads, and the second set are a Motorcraft Replacement Pad. Should work though!

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
You didn't have the caliper piston screwed all the way in.

I didn't mention anything about the tool required to screw the piston back into the caliper. I probably should have. Not sure if this will help you...

LINK

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
its all the same caliper so the blank is the same, but cobra/mach 1/bullitt have a thicker rotor so they take a thinner pad.

tomsgarage said:
Well, returned the pads today for another set, and the new pads are about an 1/8" of an inch thinner! So they should work. The only difference in the pads are that the first ones were Ford Factory Pads, and the second set are a Motorcraft Replacement Pad. Should work though!

tomsgarage

Established Member
Yup, I did have the caliper piston screwed all the way in, borrowed the tool from a friend of mine. There is a difference in the pads, one set is thicker than the others!

Users who are viewing this thread