Rear Brake Setup on 93 Cobra R

Blacksally

Established Member
Ok, if anyone one would know then it would be in here.

I have a 93 Cobra and am considering converting to 5 lug. Does anyone know exactly what Ford used on the 93 R (part #'s etc).What all would I need to get and what could I use off of my stock setup? I am assuming everything will fit no problem.

Thanks in advance and sorry for beating a dead horse but you never appreciate the info until you need it. :bash:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Basically its just a 94-98 Cobra rearend/brakes. Find a wrecked 94-98 Cobra and pull the complete rear assy or strip it of all its brackets, calipers, rotors and axles.

You could just drop $1500 in the Ford Racing M-2300 Brake kit.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
cobra186 said:
Basically its just a 94-98 Cobra rearend/brakes. Find a wrecked 94-98 Cobra and pull the complete rear assy or strip it of all its brackets, calipers, rotors and axles.

You could just drop $1500 in the Ford Racing M-2300 Brake kit.

Would this 93 Cobra owner have tire rubbing issues if they installed a 94-98 Cobra 5 lug disc brake rear in their 93 Cobra? The inner rear fender well lips were "cut and rolled" from the factory to help with tire to rear fender contact. It seems that the 94-up diff. assy. is wider than the 93-earlier unit. When viewing a 94-up Mustang/Cobra with its stock wheels and tires and then viewing a 93R with this same rear end and tire combo, the width difference is definitly visible. The 93R tires stick out, the 94-up rear tires set back in the fender well openings. This could just be a wider body on the 94-up? but that still means possible trouble on the 93-earlier cars.

R

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
The 93R and 94-98 track width is the same. The rear end housing is the same length on all 8.8 from 86-98. The extra width gained in 94-98 (and93R) was done with a longer axle.

Yes, the rear tires will rub on a lowered fox body when using the 94-98 longer axles. Ford tried to remedy this issue on the 93R by actually cutting the rear fender lip off. Of course those that actually drive their 93Rs know that the rear tires still rub when turning up an incline.

The 94-up body (rear fender wheels) are wider than a fox body... thus the tires are able to tuck up on the SN-95 mustangs.

The best thing to do on a fox body 5 lug conversion is: Buy 5 lug axles that are the factory fox body length, buy the North Cobra caliper brackets, and then buy 94-up cobra rotor, calipers, and anti moan brackets. By doing this you are able to have the narrower fox width, yet have the big Cobra disc brakes in 5 lug. This allows for a better wheel fitment and selection. My 93 that is done this way has an 18x10 w/295x35x18 that clears everything and the car is lowered.

Blacksally

Established Member
The best thing to do on a fox body 5 lug conversion is: Buy 5 lug axles that are the factory fox body length, buy the North Cobra caliper brackets, and then buy 94-up cobra rotor, calipers, and anti moan brackets. By doing this you are able to have the narrower fox width, yet have the big Cobra disc brakes in 5 lug. This allows for a better wheel fitment and selection. My 93 that is done this way has an 18x10 w/295x35x18 that clears everything and the car is lowered.

Where can I get all this and is it cheaper to buy the kit spoken of above from Ford Racing?

Thanks for all the input guys and by all means don't stop. All tips, tricks and shortcuts appreciated. Keep in mind though that since we are talking Cobra's here everything must be done right and tastefully.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Since you are compairing apples to apples, let's make sure they arn't red & green apples.

Wrecking yards are usually used (abused-bent), with some possible updates needed (turning rotors,new hoses,etc.) to get to working condition. Sometimes when you're finished with a project, trying to save $$$, you say, man I could've, would've, should've, for a little more $$$.

I would get your best pricing for both, adding in the updates, and then deside whether you want used or new brakes.

If I was doing this to a lesser car than a '93 Cobra, I would consider the used route. But a '93 COBRA, well, NEW IS NEW, as long as you have the $$$.

Again, my $.02

Users who are viewing this thread