Rear bumper hit and there are black lines, how do I remove them?

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
I tried the search, but I kept getting a SQL script error.

Here is the deal:

I was taking a left on a green arrow when this van runs the red light and crosses three lanes of traffic and hits me. At the last second I saw them and punched it and they got the passenger side of the rear bumper. As it turns out its a bunch of mexican's with no license's or insurance.

Anyway the hit didn't dent or leave scratches on the bumper just some black lines. I washed the car and lightened them up to a faint yellow and black lines (car is WHITE). How do I get the remaining yellow and light black lines out of the bumper?

Thanks. :beer:

EDIT: I just tried mother's Clay Bar and that did help much. I have a feeling I will have to wet sand it. How exactly do you do that?

No pics right now it's dark out.

Last edited:

chrisweekspc

Established Member
SaleenCobra said:
I tried the search, but I kept getting a SQL script error.

Here is the deal:

I was taking a left on a green arrow when this van runs the red light and crosses three lanes of traffic and hits me. At the last second I saw them and punched it and they got the passenger side of the rear bumper. As it turns out its a bunch of mexican's with no license's or insurance.

Anyway the hit didn't dent or leave scratches on the bumper just some black lines. I washed the car and lightened them up to a faint yellow and black lines (car is WHITE). How do I get the remaining yellow and light black lines out of the bumper?

Thanks. :beer:

EDIT: I just tried mother's Clay Bar and that did help much. I have a feeling I will have to wet sand it. How exactly do you do that?

No pics right now it's dark out.

I work at a detail show and this is common where I work. Take some laquer thinner, mineral spirits, or even finger nail polish remover on a rag and rub lightly but consistently over the lines. It will remove it, and don't worry about it removing your paint..it won't. However, it will strip the wax off the paint so make sure you wax over the places you use it very good. This will solve your problem.

- Chris

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Hey man thanks alot i'll give that a shot right now.

EDIT: That took off about 75% of what was left.

What would you recommend as my next step?

-Chris

Last edited:

Fosters

Established Member
i had that on my front bumper on my old car... i used meguiar's scratch-x and a bit of elbow grease, and they came out. I would have rather wiped it down with the cheeseball that hit me and ran, but alas he/she didn't leave a note :cuss:

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
I finally ended up putting turtle was polish on top of a pencil eraser and it got everything out. Old school trick from pops...

Users who are viewing this thread