rear caliper prob

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
Any of y'all ever had a problem compressing the rear caliper when dioing a brake pad swap? I have all the right tools but this thing just wont compress all the way. Is there a trick to this? I've never had a prob on any of my other cars and this is the firs time i've ever run into this problem before.

supercobra506

NINJA
Established Member
mine compressed all the way with the ford caliper tool, you could try disconnecting the brake hose. thats if you feel like bleeding them afterwards.

Sweetlu60

AZ Bondostang
Established Member
Use the Lisle Tool that uses a 1/4" ratchet, you should be able to get it at Sears or any parts store. Looks like a hollow cube with various pins on each face.

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
The point is not "compress" the piston but to "turn" the piston. Turning the piston with the special rear brake tool is what is needed to compress the rear rotor. You can also "borrow" the tool from Autozone. You should also be able to borrow one at your on-post MWR car shop thing.

djtyau

Established Member
I am doing my brakes and I have the tool, but I can't figure out how the tool works. :(

Can somebody post a picture on how it fits into the caliper? I would really appreciate it.

supercobra506

NINJA
Established Member
the piston inside the caliper has 2 triangles cut into it, you figure out which side of the brake tool fits in the 2 triangles and turn it clockwise until it compresses all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread