Rear coupe springs

f4sfed

Established Member
Hi! :)

In an effort to do this "on the cheap" (I'm gonna have to postpone going with a coil-over set up for now), I want to install the coupe's rear springs on my 'vert.

Here's where the fun begins: I called the dealer to get a price on the rear springs for the coupe, and he asked me what the code was. He stated that he showed at least three different spring codes for the coupe! He wanted me to give him the build date (from the door), or a spring code (from the spring).

How many different rear springs are offered by Ford, for the same body style (the coupe)? What are the differences?

TIA,
FF

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
I have the coupe springs on my vert now. They did not help wheel hop, but they did make the car sit even higher. Maybe the addition of aftermarket shocks will help? I have the Steeda and MM bushings too.

Here's another source for the stock springs.
http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/03Cobra.htm

Good luck to you.

That's right! I forgot you did this! ...and it made NO difference? AND it made the rear higher?

I just got the MM bushings on, and while they DID make a huge difference, the wheel hop is not gone.

I can't think of any other differences between my car and the coupe from last night, that experienced no wheel hop. I figured the different spring weight HAD to be it. ...but you're saying not?

:| ...looks like coil-overs are comin'.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Don't the coupes also have different shocks that might have more to do with it. You might want to go with 00R shocks which you can order from MM and have them groove and reinforce them so when you do go coil-over you are ready.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Very little difference. I can make it hop on the street at will...on the track it's worse (that's with Nitto DR's set to 18psi).
Problem is I installed the MM bushings and springs at the same time.
Makes me think the shocks are problem, not the springs.

Edit: hehe...on the same wavelength at toofast4u

Last edited:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by f4sfed
I can't think of any other differences between my car and the coupe from last night, that experienced no wheel hop

You might think I'm nuts but these:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34984&highlight=matrix

are what really cured it for me. Now it takes a rain soaked road to make any hippity or hoppity.

Still mine is a coupe, but a full matrix + rails will only improve your situation from what I have experienced.

Lower and tighter is better for no hoppy.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
You might think I'm nuts but these:
Still mine is a coupe, but a full matrix + rails will only improve your situation from what I have experienced.

Lower and tighter is better for no hoppy.

Yes...you are nuts! ;-)

I have the Kenny Brown subs, rails and matrix brace. That was the first thing I did to the car.
I think some cars are just more prone to hopping. :shrug:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Don't the coupes also have different shocks that might have more to do with it. You might want to go with 00R shocks which you can order from MM and have them groove and reinforce them so when you do go coil-over you are ready.

I have seen you mention "reinforcing the shocks" a few times. What more do they do to them besides grooving the shock?

Brian

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
I have seen you mention "reinforcing the shocks" a few times. What more do they do to them besides grooving the shock?

Brian

They weld reinforce the connection between the lower bushing shell and the shock body. They said they had problems with some IRS Cobra's breaking the bushing shell off the shock and are now reinforcing them for coil-over application.

Bingo13

Established Member
Very little difference. I can make it hop on the street at will...on the track it's worse (that's with Nitto DR's set to 18psi).
Problem is I installed the MM bushings and springs at the same time.
Makes me think the shocks are problem, not the springs.

Edit: hehe...on the same wavelength at toofast4u

You are too nose heavy with that 6lb lower and it is raising the rear end which causes wheel hop. ;-)

It is the shocks, just throw in the A/R shocks and be done with it or go the coil-over route with the '00R spec shocks and a 575lb rating on the coil for your car.

I have no wheel hop unless it is cold along with cold tires and even then it is a slight bounce now.

Poison_S

Established Member
I have the coupe springs on my vert now. They did not help wheel hop, but they did make the car sit even higher. Maybe the addition of aftermarket shocks will help? I have the Steeda and MM bushings too.

Here's another source for the stock springs.
http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/03Cobra.htm

Good luck to you.

It does not surprise me the coupe springs made the covertible sit higher given their higher spring constant.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
You are too nose heavy with that 6lb lower and it is raising the rear end which causes wheel hop. ;-)
Thank you for pointing that out Gary...and all this time I thought my rear was the problem. :lol: Not gonna have to worry about that 6lb pulley much longer. The 4lb one is going back on. ;-)

What do you think about the QA1 shocks? I believe they're 12 way adjustable.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I have no wheel hop unless it is cold along with cold tires and even then it is a slight bounce now.

I don't have hop with the Nitto's unless I really light them up then it is more of a skip also its not violent.

The 4lb one is going back on. ;-)

Gee I wonder why.

Bingo13

Established Member
Thank you for pointing that out Gary...and all this time I thought my rear was the problem. :lol: Not gonna have to worry about that 6lb pulley much longer. The 4lb one is going back on. ;-)

What do you think about the QA1 shocks? I believe they're 12 way adjustable.

I was not going to mention that. :lol:

I have heard good and bad stories about the QA1 shocks. Some people have good luck on setting 4 with the hop and some say these shocks made it worse. I have not tried them (have to write that down in my "you really need to try this" book) so I cannot comment.
I know the '00R , Koni DA, and A/R shocks work on this car. :thumbsup:

Have fun at Ennis. I get my kids and a few others for the weekend. :dw:

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I don't have hop with the Nitto's unless I really light them up then it is more of a skip also its not violent.

I have not had any hop (in my case, soft bounces) in the warmer weather with the Yokos at all. I have a set of Nitto DRs waiting to go on now. :D

f4sfed

Established Member

It is the shocks, just throw in the A/R shocks and be done with it or go the coil-over route with the '00R spec shocks and a 575lb rating on the coil for your car.

I have those on the rear already. I've tried them at each end of their adjustment spectrum. I still have hop. hop->:bash:

Why 575? I think toofast4u went with 625? Why would I not want to go with what he went with?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by f4sfed
I have those on the rear already. I've tried them at each end of their adjustment spectrum. I still have hop. hop->:bash:

Why 575? I think toofast4u went with 625? Why would I not want to go with what he went with?

Actually my rear are 8" 650 Ibs/in springs. I like mine the only problem is they are considered a race weight spring. The match is a 425 Ibs/in front coil-over spring which will require race-spec struts which cost over 500/pair.

Users who are viewing this thread