rear decklid issues/ fix

Angry50

Established Member
so i ordered a decklid black out panel from american muscle http://www.americanmuscle.com/smoked-rearpanel-2010.html. i had it one for about 9 months or so. when i received it it thought it looked rather cheap but i figured id give it a shot and i put it on. looked decent so i kept it on. one day i was washing the car and realized there was dirt built up behind it. figuring dirt against paint isnt good i removed the panel. after i find this.
chips1.JPG
chips2.JPG
paint chips in my trunk. so i called AM and explained them the situation. they asked me what i would like them to do about it. i said well at least a refund( i would like it repainted of course) they did give me a refund as a credit i haven't used yet. i don't blame AM as they didn't make the product but i thought they should be aware of the issue. so what i did to fix it as i didn't have the money to buy and RTR panel that i would like. i decided to try something i saw before which is a vinyl wrap and some emblem modification. so i removed the faux gas cap and had the deck lid wrapped. resulting in this.
noemblem.JPG
then i took the faux gas cap and popped out the center get plate and painted it black
justemblem.JPG
i used some 3M tape to attach it back on top of the vinyl.
im hoping it sticks well so far so good.
the final product i think came out well though.

decklid.jpeg

fairly cheap way to do the decklid. i would have left the emblem off all together but you can see the alignment holes through it if you dont put something over it. just wanted to share my experience maybe help someone or sop someone from making same mistake.

Angry50

Established Member
thank you. I was a little nervous about destroying the faux gas cap. but I figured worst case I buy an expensive deck lid cover. lol but the 3M tape seems to hold solid over 80 on the hwy and still there lol

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
wow, I was actually looking for a flat black panel for my black mustang from AM. You actually made me re-think this, its good that they provided you store credit. I do plan on buying the hash fender marker from them.

Angry50

Established Member
ya I generally don't have any problems with them. some of the products they sell may be sub par. but I think its a get what you pay for deal. I was originally all flat black. but now im doing all gloss black accents. hood cowl stripes, black vinyl roof now the trunk. I will be ordering a new wing and im just going to order it pre painted black.

Users who are viewing this thread