Rear diff. leak...need info

BOOMER23

Established Member
Ok guys Ive noticed Ive got a fairly slow leak from my rear end now thats dripped down onto my cat back and Im not too up on this stuff so if you could give me any info that you have and help educate me a bit...What should be done to it, possible costs involved, and a bit about the process that they will go through to fix me up....Oh and very importantly how bad it is if I drive on it in this condition or if it can be overlooked for a little while???

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
mine "sweats" so to speak near the pinion seal. it's a slow slow leak but annoying none the less

the pinion seal itself is cheap, to fix it however is not because if you relieve the pressure you should repack and reseat everything in the rearend in order to avoid future issues

mfrone77

Established Member
does your car smell funny after driving? Mine is having the same problem but mine smells I'm hoping its just were the fluid is leaking on the exhaust. I'm planning on changing the gasket and adding a brace.

BOOMER23

Established Member
yep smells funny and until now I could not for the life of me figure that out... and yes it is where it has leaked down onto the exhaust. Soooo repairs and cost??? I cant do this kinda stuff on my own

hoofbeat

Established Member
Ok guys Ive noticed Ive got a fairly slow leak from my rear end now thats dripped down onto my cat back and Im not too up on this stuff so if you could give me any info that you have and help educate me a bit...What should be done to it, possible costs involved, and a bit about the process that they will go through to fix me up....Oh and very importantly how bad it is if I drive on it in this condition or if it can be overlooked for a little while???
:beer If its the cover that is leaking there is no gasket. A silicone product is used to seal it.Most shops will drop the IRS to get at all the bolts holding the cover on. Do not let them use the reg. silicone get the dark grey used on pickups.buy a brace from Doug. and your problem is solved.

Last edited:

BOOMER23

Established Member
yeah its obvious its coming from the bottom because the silicone is seperating from the crease in between where they meet...so looks like the cover itself is still structurally fine...plus I have shitty tires and no hook and I dont beat on this car at all...hell never even made a track pass...

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
yeah its obvious its coming from the bottom because the silicone is seperating from the crease in between where they meet...so looks like the cover itself is still structurally fine...plus I have shitty tires and no hook and I dont beat on this car at all...hell never even made a track pass...

thats what i thought as well...but after i crawled under the car i could see it was coming from the pinion seal.

Get under your car and track down the leak just to be sure.

BOOMER23

Established Member
I was under there earlier today and gave it a pretty good look but who knows...how much is a stock cover in the event that I do have a cracked one?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^^^ call steve at Tousley Ford (1-800-328-9552)

he has a sticky in here and will give you a price 10% over his cost

Last edited:

mfrone77

Established Member
I got a quote from fastlane motorsports in benson nc and they said $250 to reseal the rearend and install a brace. It may be a little far for you but it should give you an idea of what it should cost.

Users who are viewing this thread