Rear Diff leak

thatdude305

Established Member
My rear diff seems to be leaking now. I've already talked to a shop about doing the FT5001 kit from full tilt boogie which includes a Ford Rear Diff cover. Is this something I should worry about or will it be fixed when they do this? Also I'd it safe for me to drive it about 20 miles to the shop?

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
If it is just an occasional drip, you should be fine. I have to put my FTBR cover on, one of these days. My seventy year old bones are balking at dropping the IRS for the third time, once for FTBR bushings and once for GT pumps/PPRV delete.

thatdude305

Established Member
Depends.
Is it leaking from the diff cover, or is it leaking from the pinion seal?
I am not really sure. I noticed it last night. I took a quick look underneath and the diff looked kinda wet and there was a nice amount on the ground. When I get home this evening, I'll take a pic and post it up

Coosawjack

Established Member
Do you smell it on the exhaust when you stop??

Leaking pinion seal usually slings fluid EVERYWHERE and onto the exhaust where it burns and smells quite strong!!

Hope it's just the cover.....Good Luck!!

thatdude305

Established Member
Do you smell it on the exhaust when you stop??

Leaking pinion seal usually slings fluid EVERYWHERE and onto the exhaust where it burns and smells quite strong!!

Hope it's just the cover.....Good Luck!!
I drove it Saturday and didn't notice any smell, but I didn't notice any leak until last night when I got home. When I get home this evening I will take a picture and post it up.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah def post a pic.
I had a very slow leak from my pinion seal many years ago. Never could smell it on anything as it was just a drip or 2 every few hours.

speedoflife

Established Member
I've had both leaks. If you clean the area up, drive a bit, and let it sit you should be able to easily tell if it's leaking from the pinion. It will leak all the way down the case if so. If it's just the cover, gravity predicts it will almost all drip towards the back of the differential. Might as well confirm which one is leaking before fixing.

It's probably just the cover - my $0.02

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Unless it's pouring out, I'm sure you will be just fine driving it. It's very well known that the stock diff cover leaks.

thatdude305

Established Member
Here are some pictures. It is on the exhaust pipe and it's pretty wet. Now I will be doing the bushings using the Full Tilt Boogie kit with the Ford Racing diff cover. So maybe that will fix it. What do you guys think

Attachments

• IMAG1696-2000x1500.jpg
    IMAG1696-2000x1500.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAG1694-2000x1500.jpg
    IMAG1694-2000x1500.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG1695-1600x1200.jpg
    IMAG1695-1600x1200.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 115

thatdude305

Established Member
No I just noticed it yesterday. I guess when I bring my car to do these bushings I'll just take care of it then since I was doing the full tilt boogie kit with all the bushings and ford racing diff cover

Hotwire

Established Member
When I bought my car, it was leaking. It had coated the exhaust pretty good at the bends where the pipes are closest together. I drove it home from Atlanta, GA to Raleigh, NC and didn’t have any issues. I got a quote of $450 in labor to have the Ford Performance rear differential cover installed. I decided to do it myself. It is time consuming, but isn’t terribly hard. When I drained it, it still had plenty of fluid in it. Mine was only leaking at the rear differential cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a small leak on my last 03, the cover bolts were all just a little loose. I tightened them and the leak went away.

thatdude305

Established Member
Well the leak cant be nothing major because the shop called me today and said they are almost done and will bring it tomorrow to get aligned. If the leak was something to worry about then they would have mentioned it. I WOULD ASSUME AND HOPE THEY WOULD

Users who are viewing this thread