Rear diff leak

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
My rear diff is leaking and I'm thinking it's the front seal. Had one ordered from Ford and gonna be doing it this weekend....

I've never done this before so I need some advice on 'how to' and maybe some helpful hints..

My buddy that helped me with all my work just left the state for a new job...so I'm tapped out of tools and a place to work on my car. Was fun while it lasted.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

2001 Cobra with 68,000 miles
4:10 gears

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
is that right?

VirtualSVT: the front seals usually don't leak. The rear diff cover seal leaks quite often.

Well when I get home from work I'll upload some pictures I took when the car was in the air..... The way it seemed to me was it was leaking from the front and trailing back towards the rear of the diff, at first glance looking from the back it would seem the rear diff. seal on the cover is leaking but when jacking it up I can see the rear suspension bar, my exhaust pipes and the drive shaft coated in crap. So to me just figured it was the front seal.

Anyways in a few hrs I'll get home and upload some pics hopefully some of you guys will get a better picture on what's going on to help me out better.....

Last edited:

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
after my gears were installed mine was leaking because one of the axle shaft seals got messed up when putting the half shaft back into the diff.....maybe something to take a look at. the part costed me $10 and my girlfriends dad installed it for free in his garage (he has a lift) as compared to the $150 that the dealership that did the install wanted for the job.

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
Well I never got around to uploading those pictures...maybe tonight I might have more time. Will let you guys know when it's up.

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
This is of the rear of the diff...looking forward:

1005071106cy6.jpg

By masalacobra at 2007-10-10

And this is the front of the diff looking back...the bottom is the rear suspension bar all coated with crap so this is why I figured it was a front seal leak:

1005071107ss1.jpg

By masalacobra at 2007-10-10

Again this is my rear diff leak and so far I'm trying to change the front seal. But what does it look like to yall???

Recap: My rear diff is leaking and I'm thinking it's the front seal. Had one ordered from Ford and gonna be doing it this weekend....
I've never done this before so I need some advice on 'how to' and maybe some helpful hints..I'm real new to working on my car so please be specific, thanks guys

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
definitely the front seal leaking. i've never done one, but from what i remember hearing you need some special press or tool or something....

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
Yea that seal was one weird looking thing, looked like a garlock seal on jet engine. Do you know if the manuals for our vehicles will have the 'how to' on what I need and all that jazz?

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
Turns out after all this info, I definetely don't have the know how or the tools to do this.... so imma take it to the shop. Gotta find one first I guess. Thanks for the input every1, hope it works out.

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
the work is now done!

So, after much time waiting for spring break. Finally got my leak fixed. Turns out it wasn't the front seal, rather the pinion gear just needed some RTV. Either way we had taken the entire rear diff out of the car to put my new billet flow brace on. Loving the red btw! Now the gunk underneath is also gone so car has been cleaned up. Glad that it all got fixed, all thanks goes to Slim's Mustang Performance!! :banana:........ pic below. More to come L8r.

9823df3965aa.jpg

When we took the rear diff out of the car.......there is a breather hooked up to it? I have never seen this before...
8305400ec40c.jpg

What exactly is the purpose of this? Why would it be required for it to..breath? :shrug:

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
When we took the rear diff out of the car.......there is a breather hooked up to it? I have never seen this before...

What exactly is the purpose of this? Why would it be required for it to..breath? :shrug:

Yeah the chunk is vented...never seen it with a breather on it before...usually its a rubber hose with a U-bend on the top..

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
hmm mine didnt have the breather, but my dif had the exact same problem, should be together by sunday.

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
Gears were already installed. 4:10. Hey, dirty_canadian, what was your reason your rear diff was leaking? Literally the same exact as mine?

Users who are viewing this thread