Rear differential pumpkin really HOT!

03 Terminator

Crazy SVT Driver
Established Member
I noticed that I can't even stand my fingers on the rear diff pumpkin. Is this normal? I know my driving style is on the "drive it like you stole it" side, but still? :shrug:

Thanks for your help.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
two machined surfaces shouldnt need a gasket. the groove for the rtv is fine. it just needs better rtv :D

and yes, it gets that hot. on the road course, it can get hotter than your engine temps :eek:

i just periodically change the fluid and i dont do the one wheel peel yet.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
03 Terminator said:
Does changing the oil for synthetic helps?

Already has Ford synthetic XY75W140QL...in it...the good stuff...

Although I switched mine to Royal Purple when my warranty diff leak was fixed...

They run extremely hot just normal highway driving...

That is why a lot of open trackers run diff coolers

Lot of money though... $$$$$$$$

Jimmy :thumbsup:

coolcobra

Established Member
I installed a rear end cooler, with temperature sensor. In road racing, I run about 30F cooler when my pump is on to circulate the rear end oil.. I use royal purple synthetic, a total of 4 quarts. I am using the innercooler heat exchanger from the front of the car. I upgraded the innercooler with a bigger heat exchanger. The pump is Mocal and it is too noisy to use in normal driving--vibrates!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
coolcobra said:
I installed a rear end cooler, with temperature sensor. In road racing, I run about 30F cooler when my pump is on to circulate the rear end oil.. I use royal purple synthetic, a total of 4 quarts. I am using the innercooler heat exchanger from the front of the car. I upgraded the innercooler with a bigger heat exchanger. The pump is Mocal and it is too noisy to use in normal driving--vibrates!

DAMN!!!
That is a freaking great idea... I've been wondering if I could do this open track thing on the semi cheap....

Did you silver solder the fittings on the HE or what???? how did you do it...
Hoses, lines fittings???
Temp gauge??
Feel free to pm if you or the thread starter don't want it here... but it is Diff heat related!!!

Jimmy :bowdown:

coolcobra

Established Member
Bought a heavy duty oil pump, Mocal, from a shop in florida. At the end of the pump head, it has a 1/4 NPT fitting for installing a temperature sensor.

The innercooler heat exchanger which I used, I made alum. brackets to hang it down behind the gas tank and the rear bumper--large open space. I had to drill mounting holes from inside the spare tire area. I had a 1/2 NPT hole tapped in the bottom of the differential, and mounted a right angle AN8 fitting, and connected it with the push style fittings and the blue high temperature hose. This hose is good for 300f and slips over the exiting fittings on the heat exchanger, and used good hose clamps. No leaks at all.

I have a remote relay that turns the pump on when I do road roacing. The system takes about two more quarts of oil.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
coolcobra said:
Bought a heavy duty oil pump, Mocal, from a shop in florida. At the end of the pump head, it has a 1/4 NPT fitting for installing a temperature sensor.

The innercooler heat exchanger which I used, I made alum. brackets to hang it down behind the gas tank and the rear bumper--large open space. I had to drill mounting holes from inside the spare tire area. I had a 1/2 NPT hole tapped in the bottom of the differential, and mounted a right angle AN8 fitting, and connected it with the push style fittings and the blue high temperature hose. This hose is good for 300f and slips over the exiting fittings on the heat exchanger, and used good hose clamps. No leaks at all.

I have a remote relay that turns the pump on when I do road roacing. The system takes about two more quarts of oil.

Thank you very much!!!
I do believe that is the best low buck diff cooler idea I have read about to date :bowdown:

When I do mine I believe that is how I'll do it!!!

Thanks again!!! Great idea!!!

Jimmy :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread