rear disc brakes?????

trixie69r

Established Member
im changing the reas disc brakes right now, just did the front with no problem, but im on the rear now and like i acnt get the calipier to open up more so the new brake pads fit. any idea on how to do so?

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
trixie69r, go to the autostore and rent the tool. Should come in a box with a caliper "spreader/compressor" with different sizes you can put on the piston. Find the right size and go from there. You may have to fight with it a little, but this is the best way I've found yet....and the rental's free(if you give the tools back :D ). Good luck.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
The one I have is actually a cube, w/ each side having a different size hole. Aggravating part was that none of the sides fit on the damn piston!

My dad had to grind the hole that came closest to fitting and we finally got the little bugger on.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Originally posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
The one I have is actually a cube, w/ each side having a different size hole. Aggravating part was that none of the sides fit on the damn piston!

My dad had to grind the hole that came closest to fitting and we finally got the little bugger on.

That thing's a piece of SH1T!!!!!

The way to get it to work is to grind off 2 of the "nubs" from a side that has 4 on it, but it's a POS!!! I threw mine away and will never use one again now that I can rent one for free at the auto store.

trixie69r

Established Member
yea thats what i did, its pretty cool. just go rent one (like they said its free) and like it wasy ez it was a little though but the thingy fit so had nothing to grind and etc =)

SCCA Cobra

Too many cones...
Established Member
Thanks too.

I came in here to post this same problem. Those little tools you can buy are POS. I looked at the one in the link above, and may look into buying it. I didn't think about asking for a rental. Thanks for the info.

Josh

stevieb

Established Member
A "C" clamp works just fine too! I would keep the old floating pad in there to equalize the pressure on the piston. But remember, to check your brake fluid level as you compress the pistons, so it doesnt over flow out of the master cylinder and make a mess as you squeeze all that fluid back into the cylinder....But im sure you already knew this part. Have fun

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
rear pads

I use the cube tool which attaches to a socket wrench. If you open the bleeder screw, it makes the job easier (you should flush/bleed the brakes anyway {after replacing the pads}). I recommend the Ford HD brake fluid.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I had the same problem a year or so ago, My car was on jack stands for 3 days while I looked for the correct tool. My neighbor finally fabricated one for me and it worked. What a PITA.

SnakeR

Established Member
A "C" clamp works well? Looking at all of these tools, is there a reason they are made to turn the piston in?

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeR
A "C" clamp works well? Looking at all of these tools, is there a reason they are made to turn the piston in?

You can't use a c-clamp on the rear caliper. The piston is not set up the same as the front, because you need tension for the rear e-brake to work in conjunction w/ the rear caliper. I think?

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Agree on the turning ... book says to turn it in, so there must be some reason - maybe to keep it going on the same plane, and not tilting to one side, scoring the caliper walls. (?).

I just know one thing, mine were hard as hell to turn!.. I didn't disconnect the e-brake cable, or the banjos ... maybe that's why.

Dan

trixie69r

Established Member
yea listen to the dont use the c clamp, it ok for the forn but not the rear, you do need that tool ro a frabicated tool of such. like ive said its not too much of a hassle to go get the rental and as it was mention its free, and the set helps out a lot. haha 3 days thats a while i had mine for 5 hours till i started this trhead then i went to get the rentel set finished in about 30 min.!!!!!! hehe =)

Users who are viewing this thread