rear disc problems

Bruno

Established Member
I recently did the conversion on my 91 from rear drums to rear discs. I used the North Race Cobra's Brackets, kept the stock axles, used the '88 T-bird rotors & calipers. (I guess the T-bird rotor/calipers are what came stock on the 93 cobra... ?)

Took a day, ripped it apart and put her back together. Braking is SO much smoother. Only problem I have now is the brakes are goaning like a B**ch. If it was a little squeak no biggie, but sometimes it's loud enough to reverberate inside the car.

It doesn't happen all the time, and if i ride the brakes some it does go away.

At first I didn't put in the metal shims that came with the calipers. (I couldnt' figure out where they were supposed to go.) Finally I found someone to show me how they were installed. So i put in the (clip)shims onto both sides. I couldn't fit both clips on the caliper so i just did one on both sides. Am I supposed to have both sets installed on both calipers? clips/shims

Thoughts?
:dw:

cobra191

Established Member
My guess it's not the shims. I've never used them and have never had any squealing. Did you use high performance fully metallic pads? If so that could be causing it

Bruno

Established Member
I'm pretty sure they aren't. I bought the caliper loaded from the local parts depot. So i'm sure it's their cheap brand.

So you never used the shims eh? I didn't have them on right after installation, then it started groaning. So i decided to put them on, now it groans more often. Think i'm going to take them out. I don't see what good they do, maybe it's for brake pads that rattle around when in the caliper; but mine fit fine.

Also, is it normal to be able to pull the intermediate arm off the caliper? I was screwing with the shims and almost slid the arm righ off of the guide bolts... ?!

thanks for replyin'
:thumbsup:

jrCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Bruno
...Also, is it normal to be able to pull the intermediate arm off the caliper? I was screwing with the shims and almost slid the arm righ off of the guide bolts...

Are you by chance talking about the slider frame that fits over the caliper frame? Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out what an intermediate arm is. The frame should be bolted and shouldn't move at all. Actually I don't think anything down there should move freely so that could be the noise you hear, something rubbing that shouldn't be loose.

Don't worry too much about the clips. They're anti-rattle clips, just there to help keep the pads from rattlin'.

Bruno

Established Member
<caliper pict.>

Yes the slider frame #10. I didn't get it all the way off but slipped while trying to force both of the anti-rattle clips on and almost yanked that sucker right off. It slid pretty far on the slider pins #14.

hope the caliper I got from them isn't defective.

cobra191

Established Member
That's right, the slider frame shouldn't move if it's bolted on properly. Is the noise coming from one side or both? Any vibration? Maybe you can post a pic of your actual brake so we can see what's going on.
By the way, if your interested in joining a club, check the SCOA and SVTOA websites for Southern CA chapters.

Users who are viewing this thread