Rear end cooler

SL 1993 R

Established Member
I'm looking at installing a differental cooler for my 93 R. The car is used for road racing/open track only. The car has a 9 inch rear end with a Detroit Locker in it. One of the tracks I frequent is Willow Springs, where it can be above 100 degrees. The set up I'm looking at is the Nascar style. It mounts on the rear end of the car and runs off a pulley that is on the yoke. The one I'm leaning towards buying is the dual pump, that will also do cooling duties for the transmission. Anyone have any experience using this style of setup, I would appreciate any input, both pro and con about this setup...

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by SL 1993 R
I'm looking at installing a differental cooler for my 93 R. The car is used for road racing/open track only. The car has a 9 inch rear end with a Detroit Locker in it. One of the tracks I frequent is Willow Springs, where it can be above 100 degrees. The set up I'm looking at is the Nascar style. It mounts on the rear end of the car and runs off a pulley that is on the yoke. The one I'm leaning towards buying is the dual pump, that will also do cooling duties for the transmission. Anyone have any experience using this style of setup, I would appreciate any input, both pro and con about this setup...

I believe everyone in here that has a cooler is running the Kenny Brown with the electric pump and the cooler mounted in the trunk.

If you have a link to the setup you are referring to, I would be interested in seeing it.

Brian

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by SL 1993 R
Steve,

I am not aware of the system you described?, but I am certain maybe one of the 93R guys may know what this is?

I have the Kenny Brown cooler in my 2000R and it works great. A very clean setup and it works really well. You may want to give Kenny Brown a call to see if they have something for your car?

SL 1993 R

Established Member
Here is one of the few links that I have seen that have what I am looking at:
http://www.scpdrysumps.com/

The part I'm looking at using is a 2 stage remote cooler pump and if you look in the mounting plate section, it show the 9 inch hardware for setting it up..

Anyone tried this combo ????

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Check out Racesearch.com. They sell diff cooler electric pumps. The Tilton Brand. Then all you need is a cooler. I plan to mount the "R" engine oil cooler under the back bumper with the electric pump. Per Saleen who did alot of Aero work on Mustangs there is plenty of air moving back there . No need to hack into the floor or have a fan. The whole thing with braided line won't be more than $600.00

Have you checked your temps? The reason the 00 R's need a cooler is two fold, 1. they have no axle tubes to cool the fluid, 2> the stupid posi unit they use creates a ton of heat. A locker creates no heat, and you have axle tubes. Maybe you don't need one?

SL 1993 R

Established Member
The one ebay is almost exactly the style I'm looking at. The only difference being the 2 stage pump. I'm wanting the 2nd stage to cool my road race Jerico transmission.

Dean95, on the Busch car you worked on, did you have any problems with those pumps and set ups. How often did they get serviced. Were they good for a session, a race, or a season.

Users who are viewing this thread