Rear end leak for the third time in less than a month

frankin

Established Member
About a month ago, I noticed a slow leak that appeared to be coming from the case seal.
I took it in to Ford and they resealed it. Four days later it was leaking again. I noticed the right rear tire had developed some unusual wear. It was wearing in the center and had little marks all over tread, which at first, I thought were fluid spots. All tires had the same pressure. I also noticed that the seal on the wheel knuckle bushing was cracked open and grease was popping out. It did not look bent, but was not damaged when I took it in the first time.
Now I have a busted right rear wheel knuckle, unusual tire wear and another leak from the rear end.
Oh I forgot to mention the “check engine light” came on before I brought the car in for the third time.
On top of everything else, they told me I have a bad cat and have ordered a new one.

Last edited:

03cobramanIII

Banned
i got 2 good knucles 4 sale 28k on them ,went solid axle, pm me .

its common for the rear covers to leak, you got a brace on it ?

frankin

Established Member
Ford is replacing the damaged wheel knuckle on thier dime, but thanks anyway, cobraman. The wheel knuckle was not damaged before they sealed the rear end the first time. I still don't know if this will solve the right rear tire wear issue. They tell me the limited slip is okay. Now they are waiting for the cat to come in. I still can't understand how a catalytic converter can go bad in 34k, but I guess it happens.

I realize that its not uncommon for the rear differential cover to leak, but twice in less then a month? And in was in the garage most of the time. The second time, it was the axle seal.
I don't have a brace on it, but need to get one.

Last edited:

03cobramanIII

Banned
mine leaked on my old 99 cobra ,and the one one my 03 was leaking also. i just hate them so i swap tp solid axle , most poeple hate my for that and ''they '' try to piss me off LOL i dont get stirred up at all i just inorge them LOL i like my swap i wouldnt got back irs.EVER!

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Here is your answer my rear diff leaked I took it apart resealed it and let it cure for 24 hrs. then filled put on my brace and have been leak free for a year. What ford does is reseal then immediately refill and not let the silicon cure. Add to that the flex of the diff cover and you leak again. Thats if the dealer even reseals it or just cleans it off.

frankin

Established Member
Here is your answer my rear diff leaked I took it apart resealed it and let it cure for 24 hrs. then filled put on my brace and have been leak free for a year. What ford does is reseal then immediately refill and not let the silicon cure. Add to that the flex of the diff cover and you leak again. Thats if the dealer even reseals it or just cleans it off.

I am sure they don't let them cure as long as they should. I wish I had the time, space and know how to work on this car. My father was a mechanic all his life, diesel and gas vehicles. He used to say "if you want something done right, do it yourself"
I should have paid more attention when he tried to show me some of the mechanic trade.
It gets expensive to have work done. I would rather buy the parts that I need and do it myself. I am going to have to get a service manual and force myself to learn.
A very good deal of information about working on these cars is on this site, so I guess I have no excuse.

frankin

Established Member
I got the car back. They replaced the wheel knuckle, cats and differential cover.
The cover looks different then the stock one. It is not as flat as the other. They said the cover must have become porous or had a hairline crack. They also aligned it.
On the way home after I picked it up the clutch started making a horrible squeking sound. I called them today and told them about it.
Also when they replaced the cat assemble they removed my X pipe and replaced with the stock H. I guess it was useless anyway because it was welded to the converters that were bad. Now they tell me they did not touch the clutch, except it never made that noise before. This is getting out of control. I will most likley take it to a real mechanic and might have to pay more, but I'm tried of having my car at the Ford dealer.
They did honor warranty on certain items, but it seems like everytime I take it in something else gets screwed up.

Users who are viewing this thread