rear end noise

ponyboy03

Established Member
I get a garbel grinding noise from the rear end when driving. I can hear it when coasting or in gear. Any ideas? Of course I just put the stock exhaust back on from having borla's so I hear everything now including all the squeaks.

ponyboy03

Established Member
sounds like carrier bearings or possibly pinion bearings

Could wheel hop be the culprit for bearings going bad? I'm mostly stock so it can't be stress when stomping on it. Is this something I can fix with an ok set of tools? I have had some wheel hop from time to time.

Speed Demon

Established Member
I wouldn't recommend trying to fix this yourself without the right tools. Dropping the center section out is easy enough, but replacing the bearings requires a few special tools.

While your at it you may as well do a gear and diff bushings if you haven't already.

ponyboy03

Established Member
Just wanted to update. I checked the oil in the diff and it seemed low. I put half a quart in of 75w140 and it sounds much better. I've never had any leaks so I'm not sure where it all went. I figure it was 1/3 low. Seems pretty substantial. I still hear something but between the noisy T56 and the road I can't tell, so I'll say it's resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread