Rear end noise

schacher94gt

Established Member
Didnt know really where to put this that itd get alot of traffic bc im stumped and really could use some insight.

Noise started with a knock in the rear when I would put it in gear at a low RPM and deaccelartion while still in gear. If the car was jacked up and I moved the tire back and forth quickly itd make the same noise. I played it off as typical gear slop and if it wasnt i was jus gonna drive it til it went ha.

Well couple nights ago we went out and after running all night I did 2 last pulls from 40mph. When i shifted into 3rd my back end slid out from me, not like spinning tires, but to the point where I had to correct with my steering wheel. As I drove home it started to knock but not consistently.

So today I tore it apart and the axles and spider gears look great and theres no play in the driveshaft. Im going to double check the splines on my shafts to make sure this isnt a wear spot.

Any advice?

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Sounds like a worn/torn bushing to me.

Check all the bushings on your upper and lower control arms. Also check the bushings on the top of the differential housing (where the upper control arm bolts to).

Also have a look at the swaybar to lower control arm bolts and make sure they are tight.

Have a look for cracked lower and upper torque boxes as well.

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
These cars have problems with the upper control arm bushings coming apart. The top of the axle will flop around and feel like its kicking out of the car, and bang/clunk. I replaced mine with the steeda upper control arm kit

schacher94gt

Established Member
Well it did one of those magical fix itself tricks haha. I do have some dry bushings but ill be doing uppers this winter so its not a big deal

97cobra1

Established Member
I had a similar sound and it turned out to be busted lower control bushings and the aftermarket uppers that the previous owner installed had hollowed themselves out and was causing huge amounts of axle play.

Users who are viewing this thread