rear end Rebuild?? driveshaft play?

Nickynick

Established Member
my rear end is leaking.. and i have driveshaft play more than usual. when i go from foreward and backward i can hear the driveshaft "Bing" when going in opposite directions if that makes sense. now what would be the best kit to rebuild this, do i just need seals to fix play and leak? or do i need like a whole kit from summit?? or whoever has the best kit?

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Where do you start? how many miles on the rear? if it's over about 60K you may want to just do the whole thing, axle bearings, (maybe axles, if they are worn) then, since you're there, you may want to rebuild the limited slip......these projects seem to grow exponentially once you get started. Try doing the reverse to first thing on a lift, or someplace where you can see what exactly is going on, then make your decision from there. As I recall Summit carries several different brands of kits.

Nickynick

Established Member
Where do you start? how many miles on the rear? if it's over about 60K you may want to just do the whole thing, axle bearings, (maybe axles, if they are worn) then, since you're there, you may want to rebuild the limited slip......these projects seem to grow exponentially once you get started. Try doing the reverse to first thing on a lift, or someplace where you can see what exactly is going on, then make your decision from there. As I recall Summit carries several different brands of kits.

ok than lets get weird. if its on a drive on lift, the driveshaft spins free.. if its on a lift where its up by the frame, than the tires hang low and the driveshaft is rubbing the muffler if it spins... i bought with 94 on it and had 98 on it now.. so i think its easiest to assume no one under me rebuilt it.. the only problems with it are what i described.. so sounds like bearings..

Summit Racing® Basic Ring and Pinion Installation Kits SUM-G7919 - SummitRacing.com

this kit? it says pinion spline 30 but isnt stock 28?

blacksheep-1

Established Member
ok than lets get weird. if its on a drive on lift, the driveshaft spins free.

So you can't put someone in the car and have them bump it back and forth on the drive on lift, sorry my mistake, I must have been imagining it when I did it.

Last edited:

Nickynick

Established Member
So you can't put someone in the car and have them bump it back and forth on the drive on lift, sorry my mistake, I must have been imagining it when I did it.

easy now, you must be one of those big strong guys in real life because little guys dont try to act tough at all....

and did you look at that kit? the spline count on a stock is 28 i believe, so i need a rebuild kit to match that correct?

1997Cobra

Established Member
In that kit the pinion spline count is 30. The splines that you are thinking about are the axle splines, which are in fact 28 splines from the factory.

Your ring and pinion install kit will work with a factory axle in other words. Notice, if you go the the application tab, you will see that it works for all 8.8s, 28 spline or 31 spline axle shafts.

***edit***
regarding your first post, seals will not fix a "play" issue in the drive shaft. The bearings are what would cause your issue.

Last edited:

Nickynick

Established Member
In that kit the pinion spline count is 30. The splines that you are thinking about are the axle splines, which are in fact 28 splines from the factory.

Your ring and pinion install kit will work with a factory axle in other words. Notice, if you go the the application tab, you will see that it works for all 8.8s, 28 spline or 31 spline axle shafts.

***edit***
regarding your first post, seals will not fix a "play" issue in the drive shaft. The bearings are what would cause your issue.

thanks man!

then figure it for yourself smart guy

no comment, alls i gotta say is dont act tough on the internet.. doesnt make your penis any bigger

Users who are viewing this thread