Rear End Squeak

DirtyMcArthur

BIG RED
Established Member
Ok so I had work done to my rear end back in Nov. and since then, there's been a squeak coming from the rear driver side. It's not always there but when it is, it's really loud. The squeaking also peaks when i hit little bumps in the road. So if my rear is squeaking while just driving, you can hear it peak everytime i hit a small bump if I'm on a bumpy road. Any idea what it could be?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
well based on your description of the noise it sounds like suspension. IMO if it were an issue with the bearing it would be a more constant noise.

DirtyMcArthur

BIG RED
Established Member
That's what I was thinking but the squeak doesn't make sense to me because it'll squeak on a flat surface. The car drives fine, no vibrations, no other abnormal sounds. What do you suggest greasing up back there?

Imatk

Established Member
Sometimes poly bushings will squeak like that, but if you're on the stock parts I think I'd just take it back and let them diagnose the problem since it didn't occur until after the new bearing was put in.

gr850

Established Member
Just a thought. Perhaps they over tightened the panhard bar that runs left to right and the bushings are squeking. It has to be removed to do any diff work. Should be easy enough to check. I'd loosen the screws and pry the brackets apart slightly and retighten but not to a manly spec.

Blackmax

Established Member
Ok so I had work done to my rear end back in Nov. and since then, there's been a squeak coming from the rear driver side. It's not always there but when it is, it's really loud. The squeaking also peaks when i hit little bumps in the road. So if my rear is squeaking while just driving, you can hear it peak everytime i hit a small bump if I'm on a bumpy road. Any idea what it could be?

You could try lubing up your rear end in different places, have you checked your shaft as well? If the sqeak happens when you take a bump maybe its in your joints.

Kapy

Established Member
If the carrier bearing was replaced it is possible that other suspension components were not torqued properly and you might have some play between seating surfaces. Sounds like metal to metal rubbing going on to make that squeak.

Mentioning it happens only over bumps kind of explains this as well as chassis flex and shifting if caused then.

Users who are viewing this thread