Rear End Swaying Under Acceleration

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
im just thinking that if my thrust angle is out of whack...and i go to accelerate hard, the driveshaft would be almost (for the lack of a better term) pushing or shifting the car into or out of position to try and compensate for the unevenness? am i wrong in thinking that? i still have the stock 2 piece driveshaft.

im still running the factory UCA which could be a problem as well.

edit: also noticed that it seems the ass end sways to the passenger side, not the drivers side.

No. If your driveshaft was pushing the rear end, you'd have some very major drivetrain issues to address. Just take it to a good alignment shop and have them check/adjust your thrust angle. They'll be limited on how much they can dial it in, though, since you don't have an adjustable UCA.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Well, thrust angle is dependant on panhard rod and lower adjustable control arms. UCA controls pinion angle

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I think 30psi is high for a R compound tire. I had my m/t's at 32 and was tracking all over the road. Dropped them to 24-5 and went away

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
I think 30psi is high for a R compound tire. I had my m/t's at 32 and was tracking all over the road. Dropped them to 24-5 and went away

I'll drop them down further this morning. Also going to check all of my fasteners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
Really think I just need to bring the car to a good alignment shop and have them dial it in. I think my thrust angle is off now. From going from the 18"-20" wheels and I also went to a 10.5" wide rear and after adjusting the panhard I should have it looked at

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
To check if your tire is balling up due to high psi try a very quick but hard 3 foot burn out and examine the tire tread footprint on flat concrete. Way narrow is too high. Dropping 2 psi each time I'd shoot for closest to advertised footprint. So for 30 psi you might try this 2-3-4X. For traction once your closest to your tire's tread width dropping again should get you closer to seeing same footprint only flat black. I run 24-25psi in my MT's for the best footprint showing tread lines and they handle fine for basic run around/highway on my 20's. Don't care about longer life or I would not ride MT DR's. If I'm planning ahead on a play day I drop to 20-21psi for the flat black sticky footprint. Tire psi testing is easy and it's free :)->) .
Just curious....did your wheel swap result in about 2" height gain for the rear and could that effect pinion or instant center ?

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
To check if your tire is balling up due to high psi try a very quick but hard 3 foot burn out and examine the tire tread footprint on flat concrete. Way narrow is too high. Dropping 2 psi each time I'd shoot for closest to advertised footprint. So for 30 psi you might try this 2-3-4X. For traction once your closest to your tire's tread width dropping again should get you closer to seeing same footprint only flat black. I run 24-25psi in my MT's for the best footprint showing tread lines and they handle fine for basic run around/highway on my 20's. Don't care about longer life or I would not ride MT DR's. If I'm planning ahead on a play day I drop to 20-21psi for the flat black sticky footprint. Tire psi testing is easy and it's free :)->) .
Just curious....did your wheel swap result in about 2" height gain for the rear and could that effect pinion or instant center ?

Yea I'm going to drop them down more I just haven't yet. And I'm not sure what you mean about your last question. My setup before I swapped wheels was the factory 18" rear wheel with 305/35 NT555R's. And I went to a 20x10.5" with a 305/35 NT555R.

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
i should probably note that its most noticeable to replicate after i let off when i can feel the car move back to 'cruising position' i guess you could say. really starting to believe its my thrust angle out of whack. i have an alignment check tomorrow which a decent shop who has adjusted a couple friends of mine's cars

Bill Lumberg

I had the same swaying issues with my 2011 when using 315/35r 20 NTO5Rs on stock 2011 rear wheels. This swaying was only present at full throttle under load. It didn't sway after letting off. I tried different psi's and it didn't help. I also have BMR non-adjust LCAs, BMR adjustable upper, BMR adjust panhard, and welded in relocation brackets and DSS driveshaft. I just took the tires off because under load it was just crazy to control at high speeds. I put my all season Continental DWS 285/30 ZR20s back on and these tires don't sway at all but obviously don't get very good traction. Really interested in what you find out as my car is equipped with all the goodies from Raven Racing / VMP and desperately need traction lol. I talked to van and he stated it could be from big tires on small rim, bushings going out on LCAs or differential (Stock 2011s have the crappy clutchpack style diffs) can't handle the extra traction and tire size under load.

nate8509

Established Member
I worked on my car the other day but due to work couldn't take it out for a long haul till today. Some members suggested I do two things, first I lowered my tire pressures down to 30lbs and I added 1oz to 1.5oz of fritction modifier to my rear end. I did both at the same time so idk which it was but after 200 miles I can't seam to detect any of my previous issues. To top it off it quieted my rear end down some. I know for a fact my rear end has a hard 18k miles on it so I'm leaning to that being more of the issue. Hope this helps you figure your problem out, I know mine frustrated the hell out of me

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
Went and had my alignment fixed. My rear LCAs were all out of whack which had my rear toe's all effed. Definitely didn't help the situation. So he dialed it all in to spec and it was better but still moving a little. So we did some further investigation and found that one of my pan hard connecting bolts was not tight enough. YIKES.

So went through all of my components again and made sure they were all snug/torqued. Fixed the issue. The car feels solid now, maybe even better than it did before after I had a quality alignment done. If anyone is getting any sketchy type swaying I'd suggest triple checking your hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread