Rear-end Tink

Eric03Cobra

Established Member
I've had the rear-end "tink" and drive line “clunk” for about 6 - 8 thousand miles now since receiving my new rear-end (replaced with DS for Vibe)
After researching what others have been through, it seems that new hubs and half shafts resolve the "tink".

I got up the courage today to take the car into the shop and have them look at it. I stopped by on my way to lunch and the tech was at my car talking to the SM. The tech told me that they need to order new hubs and half shafts. He showed me, (looking at the half shafts still in the hub), that the splines were twisting / shearing off. Unfortunately I didn't have my Digital Camera with me so no Photos.

The Tech also thinks this may be why I'm getting the rear-end clunk. Too much drive line lash may be related to these half shafts giving so much. We'll soon see. The parts should be here in the next few days.

It was a great experience. No saying it’s normal, no attempt to void the warranty, the car was obviously broke, and they're going to fix it under warranty.

Right now I’ve got to give Machens a thumbs up for customer service. I just hope it stays that way.

FYI: only mods on the car are a Full Bassani system (with catted x-pipe), K&N drop-in, MGW shift handle and knob.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Alright! It looks like we've made progress in convincing Ford that the fix for the rear end tink is new half shafts and hubs. It took some time and a lot of posting by a lot of people, but your post shows how we can make a difference if we learn from and help each other. 3 cheers for SVTP and everyone who has posted on this issue!

Incidentally, my car still is tink free since I had my hubs and halfshafts replaced. [7500 miles now]. :thumbsup:

flyn high again

Established Member
Mine has always clunked and still does, There was a thread a few weeks ago where one of the guys had his pumpkin [I think] replaced and the clunk disappeared. I wish I could remember who it was...:shrug:

Eric03Cobra

Established Member
Just got the car back :( Only took them 5 days to do a 2 day job.
Total tally is 2 new rear half shafts, 2 new rear hubs and berrings along with a full allighnment.
Results:
Tink is gone and drive line clunk is gone. The drive line cluck I refer to is when in gear and driving, you let off the gas then get back on.
I still have a sligh cluck sometimes when I let the clutch out changing gears.
Over all, I'm very happy just to get rid of the tink.

03torchvert

Established Member
I had the 1/2 shafts done and the tink came back after 3 days. 2 months have gone by and just brought it back to ford for a refix of the tink. They caled SVT who said to replace the large nut on the end of the 1/2 shaft (in the center of the rim). I just picked up the car and the tink is gone, so it has to do with these bolts on the end of the 1/2 shafts. The bad news is I am 99.9% sure the tink will be back in a few days as I spoke to the mechanic and he told me he replaced those nuts last time when he replaced the 1/2 shafts. :rollseyes

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I had the hubs & halfshafts replaced a long time ago. I think I was one of the first group of owners to get it done. Have several thousand miles since then and no pop / tink so far.

However, it did not change the clunk. I think the clunk must be caused by something else. It doesn't really bother me and I've learned to roll in and out of the throttle to minimize it.

All Mustangs I've ever owned have clunked, although this Cobra seems a little bit worse.

03torchvert

Established Member
This is the million dollar question. Why is it when they first replaced the 1/2 shafts the tink was gone for 3 days. In those 3 days I tried to get the car to tink by going foward then back and visa versa, not a peep from the rear. Then on the 3rd day it slowly reappeared. Now 2 months later they reaplaced these nuts again and nothing else and the tink is gone again. :??: What do you guys think

flyn high again

Established Member
This is my theory: When they replaced the halfshafts, the new halfshafts were slightly larger than the worn old ones so they didn't have as much play. Over three days, the looseness in the hubs caused the halfshafts to wear a little and now they tink. Tightening up the nut also helps eliminate play until the nut loosens or the wear increases.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I do know that many of us have had our halfshafts and hubs replaced and the tink has gone away and not come back so far.

03torchvert

Established Member
Flyn,

Thanks for your input. I guess I will know in a few days.:rollseyes

03torchvert

Established Member
Flyn,

The tink is back in its infant stage. I am sure in a few more days it will be full blown again:cuss: . Back to the dealer AGAIN:rolleyes:

flyn high again

Established Member
That's too bad, 03 Torchvert. The hub replacement may be a necessary part of the fix. Hopefully the new halfshafts haven't worn due to excess play. Let us know what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread