Rear end when out, F***

ericsnow25

Established Member
So I was messing around today and I did a 3500 or so launch and boom. I've never busted a rear end before. Basically it will go in gear and then once I let start letting out the clutch and moving forward it stops accelerating and hear a bad grinding noise coming from the rear. I pulled to the center lane and had it towed back to my place.

DID I BLOW MY REAR END? When I looked under nothing was leaking and from what I can see the pumpkin is not busted at all. Help a noob out.

99arboC

Established Member
Well if the driveshaft is spinning when you do this then you probably wasted your spider gears.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Broken halfshaft or differential would be my guess. Probably the latter.

On the upside, this would be a great time to put some gears in the car.

tistan

Established Member
I have a complete 99 cobra center section with 4.10 gears in it. It had 34k miles on it when I pulled it out. I did a solid swap in my cobra, and I kept the center section to put in my GTO. I never got around to doing the 8.8 swap in the GTO, and now they have come out with better parts for the GTO rear for a lot cheper than an 8.8 swap. If your interested in it shoot me a pm.

SVT GT

Established Member
Don't know if you want to f%^& "when" your rear end is out then that's up to you. I would probably stay away from distractions and continue to fix it "when" your rear end WENT out...that's just me, lol Anyways ya it sounds like your spider gears are shot but you won't know for sure until you open the cover.

ericsnow25

Established Member
haha I definetly meant "went out" lol. I started slamming beers last night after it happened, I'll blame that on my typo :)

Anyways, I wanted to go 4.30s anyways. Sounds like perfect timing!

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
It's most likely your gears. If it was a halfshaft, the car would not move under power. Well that wasthe case when I snapped my shaft. Also, check inside your wheels for grease. If it snapped most likely the grease from the boot would be splattered in there.

Users who are viewing this thread