Rear hatch alignment issue on new '15 Ford Edge Titanium-Looking for advice.....

daustin

Established Member
A few months back, we bought my wife a new Ford Edge and since day one, we had problems with the auto rear hatch. When closing using the auto shut feature, it would pop back open then would have to be manually pulled down. While looking at it, I noticed the body gap on the hatch was at about 1/2" on the driver side and the passenger side was less than 1/16".

We took it in to Ford, they verified the closure issue and instead of realigning the hatch, they moved the striker plate. While it shuts correctly now, the body gaps look horrible; the taillight on the hatch is almost hitting the taillight in the rear quarter on the passenger side and the gap is quite large on the driver side.

Should I bring it back to Ford and have the rear hatch realigned correctly, or just live with it since it shuts correctly? I really don't want to just let it go, as I don't think a $42k+ car should have that type of issue. It has never been hit. I don't have pics right now as my wife is at work. I'll post pics later if you guys would like to see for yourself.

Thanks for your advice.

Dave

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bring it back it. It's an easy adjustment and won't cost you anything. The dealership gets paid. They would have no reason not to fix it.

Good luck!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Put a small piece of a 2x4 on the side that is in and close it on it and yank on the side that is sticking out. If you dont feel comfortable then take it to a body shop as this is what they should do for a quick fix. We see it all the time on Edges, Explorers, and Grand Cherokees. Usually it means someone closed it with something jammed in there and it threw it out of alignment.

daustin

Established Member
Thanks guys. I will take it back and have the dealer do it. I don't want to start yanking and pulling on the hatch and then have to take it to the dealer for them to tell me I caused more problems.

It has never been closed with something jammed in it to my knowledge; but who knows. Maybe my wife closed it with something in there-I doubt it though. Even if that was the case, I would think the hatch would auto reverse once it sensed an obstruction before it caused an alignment issue.

It could have happened before we bought it. It only had 6 miles on it when we bought it but someone did go in there and take the all weather mat, spare tire, jack and fuel funnel while it was for sale on the lot. They replaced those before we drove off the lot.

I'm glad I looked under the rear mat during the test drive!

EDIT: My wife just said the hatch closed then opened back up on its own the day after we bought it when she was getting her briefcase out of the back at work; there was no obstruction. It was re-opening because of the alignment issue and continued to do so until the dealership adjusted the striker plate. I feel like the striker plate adjustment was putting lipstick on a pig as it caused the rear hatch to close properly, but did not fix the root cause. Something had to have happened before we bought it.

Last edited:

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I would be looking for another dealer. Crazy they would remove factory equipment on a brand new car. No way that shit would fly.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Thanks guys. I will take it back and have the dealer do it. I don't want to start yanking and pulling on the hatch and then have to take it to the dealer for them to tell me I caused more problems.

It has never been closed with something jammed in it to my knowledge; but who knows. Maybe my wife closed it with something in there-I doubt it though. Even if that was the case, I would think the hatch would auto reverse once it sensed an obstruction before it caused an alignment issue.

It could have happened before we bought it. It only had 6 miles on it when we bought it but someone did go in there and take the all weather mat, spare tire, jack and fuel funnel while it was for sale on the lot. They replaced those before we drove off the lot.

I'm glad I looked under the rear mat during the test drive!

EDIT: My wife just said the hatch closed then opened back up on its own the day after we bought it when she was getting her briefcase out of the back at work; there was no obstruction. It was re-opening because of the alignment issue and continued to do so until the dealership adjusted the striker plate. I feel like the striker plate adjustment was putting lipstick on a pig as it caused the rear hatch to close properly, but did not fix the root cause. Something had to have happened before we bought it.

I know it sounds brutish but most likely someone at the dealer, like a lot boy or someone along the line before you got it closed the liftgate on something and it twisted the liftgate. They can adjust it all day long but if it twisted it is twisted, and the only real fix is to bend it back.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
They can line up your gaps and adjust the striker accordingly. Not a big deal at all.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Worst case scenario OP, take a road trip East and I'll get you taken care of.

daustin

Established Member
I know it sounds brutish but most likely someone at the dealer, like a lot boy or someone along the line before you got it closed the liftgate on something and it twisted the liftgate. They can adjust it all day long but if it twisted it is twisted, and the only real fix is to bend it back.

If it's twisted, it's not twisted much. I'm sure they'll take care of it. They'll send it to the body shop.

They can line up your gaps and adjust the striker accordingly. Not a big deal at all.

Agreed.

Worst case scenario OP, take a road trip East and I'll get you taken care of.

Thanks for the offer! If I left now, I could probably be there in 24 hours. I wish all dealers had the same attitude as you! I signed up for some training in St. Charles, MO next month; don't know how far that is from you. That got changed to Monroe, LA though and I'll be flying.

daustin

Established Member
I would be looking for another dealer. Crazy they would remove factory equipment on a brand new car. No way that shit would fly.

Yeah, the sales manager was pretty pissed off too. He also said they were having a problem with people taking the hybrid charging cables out of the hybrids. They started keeping them behind the sales managers' desk. I don't think it's a dealership problem; I think it's one or two asshole employees running around there and taking the shit. This dealership has always treated me well. I will keep going there until they give me a reason otherwise.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the offer! If I left now, I could probably be there in 24 hours. I wish all dealers had the same attitude as you! I signed up for some training in St. Charles, MO next month; don't know how far that is from you. That got changed to Monroe, LA though and I'll be flying.

It wouldn't take quite 24 hours. My grandparents have a house in Palm Springs, CA; that's about 22 hours. I imagine you could make it in 19-20.

St. Charles is the other side of the state, by St. Louis. Probably 4 hours from me.

Good luck with your hatch!

Users who are viewing this thread