Rear main seal question

testorossa1989

Established Member
As the title says. Where's everyone getting their "Oil Singers" for the rear main seal. My new main seal didn't come with and after deep search I found conflicting answers. And it seems Ford doesn't even offer the part, nor does any sub genuine retailer. I can't be going crazy... Is there a more current answer to this, or where to find the part new aside from Fel

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
that two-piece oem seal and slinger isn't completely necessary imo. you could do it and i think both pieces are still available from ford (i checked this past winter and they were, but it's best to have the part #'s handy or they might not show it, like you said). but i wouldn't try to install that without the very complex rotunda tool (or its equivalent). i think it needs to be set dead nuts perpendicular to the crank.

imo the felpro one-piece design works just fine and is more simple, and allows more room for error.

check out john smith racing on youtube, he gets into the rear main seal on a couple of his builds

01yellercobra

Established Member
I ran the Felpro on my old engine without an oil slinger and never had an issue with the rear main leaking.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
you should be fine. just take your time installing it in the cover and over the crank.

neither of my terminators needed one when i refreshed their engines, but my 4.6 f-150 engine did and so far the felpro hasn't leaked (but to be fair i only have about 6k on it).

i am a rotunda special tools "enthusiast" and i love buying the tools that are called out in the factory service manual. (the more money than brains club lol).

to give you an idea of how complicated the two-piece design is, these are the tool #'s that ford specifies to replace the rear main seal:

303-514 slinger remover
303-516 seal installer
303-517 slinger installer
303-518 seal installer
303-519 seal remover

i'm sure it's the best and most thorough way to do it, but it's just not necessary, and somehow i doubt dealership techs were doing it this way every time.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I did mine about 6 months ago, I believe it was a factory part. Not had it running yet so don’t know if it going to leak. Did not have the “proper” tool so installed it the old way. I have done lots on Detroits and Cummins in the field that way with minimal issues, fingers crossed that this one doesn’t leak.

Users who are viewing this thread