rear seat delete dimensions

Satyr

Established Member
going to be building one in a few weeks and am working on the design in my spare time. i know to trace the actual model before building it, but i was curious what size the bottom part ends up being. i am working on including storage and some other stuff on it/under it and am wondering what might fit.

can anyone take a quick measurement of the bottom portion of the rsd?

thanks

Satyr

Established Member
The simple thing to do, would be to use cardboard as your template. Trim and add to it and use this as a pattern.

this guy has his on sale right now.

94-04 Mustang Rear Seat Delete by Shrader Performance - RearSeatDelete.com

Did you actually read what I am asking for? Thanks for the link, but I am looking for the dimensions so that I can design my layout before building it. I need to take into account many things during the build, and would like to get an idea of what will fit on the delete and what will need to be mounted elsewhere.

Jefe

Established Member
If you have the patience, then go for it. If I had to do it again I probably wouldn't. Did mine using cardboard and paper bags and it was a pain.

Questions:

How are you going to mount it? Still not happy with mine
Will the top piece sit flush with the seat opening(like mine) or set back against the part of the body?
Will the bottom lift up on a hinge?

Mine:

SeatDelete-1.jpg

After going back and forth on mine for a week I decided to skip the hinge and not attach the pieces to each other. The bottom stays in place no problem and I can lift it up about 6-8" to get access underneath it. If you want access underneath the bottom, then you cant cut it to fit length wise between the panels. The body panels get in the way about 3" up. You will need to make it about 3" short on both ends of the bottom piece. Plus your top piece will need to be cut shorter to allow the bottom piece to come up. I left about a 2" gap between the bottom edge of the top piece and the top of the bottom piece(if that makes sense). If the trunk were open, a little bit of light would show between the pieces

Took some measurements and did a rough sketch for you

Capture-198.jpg

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
Awesome. Thanks for the pictures, that's just what I needed. I actually am creating a dual layer RSD. The bottom layer will have an amp mounted on one side and a panel slot on the other, and the top layer will conceal the amp and create the top portion of the drawer. It will be similar to a false floor. I am also putting a fan in the rear area, which will cycle in/out of the trunk to keep the amp cooled. I will be using (probably) 1/4" mdf for the bottom and 1/8 on the top. Both layers of the bottom section will mount flush with the rear, but will not be actually connected to it.

I haven't decided on how I want to fasten the bottom part down, but it will not be lift-able (because the storage will be on top). I will have a draft made up with google sketch in a couple weeks; I am currently at the infantile stages of the process. I needed the dimensions to see what I can/cannot fit. Thanks again.

Satyr

Established Member
Forgot to add: if I were to put storage into a design like yours, I would use reverse-spring hinges and cut panels out where the old buckets for the seats went. That way, the base can still be flush, the top can be proper length, and you still have storage. Just something to consider.

Your kit looks awesome, btw.

Jefe

Established Member
Sounds like the direction I wanted to go. Problem is the amp I am using is fairly old and I didn't want to trap the heat down there so I mounted it under the rear deck where the stock speaker rack used to be. Plenty of room to hide an amp under there though.

How are you going to mount the top piece? Do you want easy access to the trunk?

Satyr

Established Member
Sounds like the direction I wanted to go. Problem is the amp I am using is fairly old and I didn't want to trap the heat down there so I mounted it under the rear deck where the stock speaker rack used to be. Plenty of room to hide an amp under there though.

How are you going to mount the top piece? Do you want easy access to the trunk?

I haven't figured out how to mount the top piece, yet. I would like access to the stuff underneath, but I am not entirely sure how to construct it so it is sturdy, yet lift-able.

Access to the trunk is not concerning. I am going to put a JL low profile sub in the back, but otherwise, I am trying to keep the weight down and still have some good sound.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I made and sold 32 RSD kits for Terminator coupes back in the day when I owned my 03'. Took a bit of trial and error to get the template just right, but once you get it exact, it's easy to transfer to wood and get a good exact fit. Would recommend the cardboard technique others have mentioned though. It needs to be an exact fit to maximize appearance. These cars are too nice to jerry rig this IMO.

Jefe

Established Member
Iron Terp, How did yours mount? Sunken to the body unlike mine?

Right now im using L brackets bolted to the body in the 4 corners. Two on each turned into U brackets with some velcro. Doesnt work too well but I couldnt come up with anything better that would still give me access to the trunk

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Iron Terp, How did yours mount? Sunken to the body unlike mine?

Right now im using L brackets bolted to the body in the 4 corners. Two on each turned into U brackets with some velcro. Doesnt work too well but I couldnt come up with anything better that would still give me access to the trunk
My rear seat delete kit was designed for light weight and super easy removal, and specifically for those wishing to reduce their race weight for drag strip use. They weighed about 7.8 lbs and literally took 10 seconds to remove/install. I used a naugahyde leather hinge mechanism to connect the back section with the seat section and the kit needed no fasteners to keep in place.

Users who are viewing this thread