Rear speaker install

Rice Eatr

Established Member
I have a set of 150w 5x7 JBL's laying around and would like to see if they sound any better then the stockers. Can anyone give me any tips on the removal/install process?

mosconiac

Established Member
I'd like to know how to remove that "subwoofer" enclosure too...I've heard removing it will save 30-40#...won't miss it because it sounds like garbage anyway.

Silver03

Established Member
Its very easy. Lay down the rear seats, from the interior, take out the 3 bolts that secure the rear head rest to the deck. Remove deck cover by popping out the 2 push pins that are located in the front. From the top of the deck, loosen the 6 nuts that secure the speaker enclosure to the rear deck, once these nuts are removed, the enclosure will just fall down so have someone hold it for you from inside the trunk. Once that is out, you just have to remove the pins securing the speaker wiring to the enclosure. removing the stock speakers from this point is self explanatory. Good luck!

TenthScale

Established Member
I removed all that stuff.. I made MDF adaptor plates to bolt up 6x9s in the rear.. there is basically 3 bolts that hold it on. They are in those DEEP holes and you will need a deep socket as the bolt sticks out past the nut quite a bit. Advise laying in trunk so you drop the box down on your chest as the tweeter wire connections are on top and not very long.

Drop the amps off first I think 2 of the bolts are under them I have some pictures will see if I can find them..

also even with the new 6x9s and 2 amps custom installed between the speakers I have alot more room in the trunk

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I'm willing to bet that the speakers won't sound any different than stock. The sound limits/qualityin our car are set by the headunit and the amplifiers.

Rice Eatr said:
I have a set of 150w 5x7 JBL's laying around and would like to see if they sound any better then the stockers. Can anyone give me any tips on the removal/install process?

Silver03

Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
I'm willing to bet that the speakers won't sound any different than stock. The sound limits/qualityin our car are set by the headunit and the amplifiers.

Yep, I installed an aftermarket set of speakers in the rear and they really sound no different, even with an aftermarket amp and HU. They are louder though. There just isnt enough room in that enclosure, I think I'll be building one too.

Rice Eatr

Established Member
I have been driving my wife's old Grand AM as a winter beater. When I started my car the other day I noticed how bad the stock speakers actually sound. The JBL's are just collecting dust on the shelf so I figured I would give them a shot. Thank you :beer:

If the JBL's still sound like crap I may look into a set of 6x9's. I have a couple of 12" JBL's and amp that I took out of my last Stang sitting in the basement but would like to avoid adding the weight.

Last edited:

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
Take them out of the enclosure, it will sound 10 times better. I used to have mine in, then I took them out and it sounds much better. They will be 6x8/5x7's in the rear, not 6x9's...unless you got brackets which I think you said.

Rick

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Silver03 said:
Its very easy. Lay down the rear seats, from the interior, take out the 3 bolts that secure the rear head rest to the deck. Remove deck cover by popping out the 2 push pins that are located in the front. From the top of the deck, loosen the 6 nuts that secure the speaker enclosure to the rear deck, once these nuts are removed, the enclosure will just fall down so have someone hold it for you from inside the trunk. Once that is out, you just have to remove the pins securing the speaker wiring to the enclosure. removing the stock speakers from this point is self explanatory. Good luck!

It is much easier to pull out the box, change the speakers and put the box back in. 6 or 8 TORX bolts, I think. I completely removed the box from my trunk. Hello trunk space :)

Silver03

Established Member
Sonic 03 Cobra said:
It is much easier to pull out the box, change the speakers and put the box back in. 6 or 8 TORX bolts, I think. I completely removed the box from my trunk. Hello trunk space :)

I'm not following what youre saying, the instructions I wrote out were to do what you stated, remove the box and put it back in... :shrug:

ALA G8R

Banned
Keep in mind that the woofer element in the Mach 460 system only receives the low frequency signals from the Mach 460 amps. So if you replace the rear Mach 460 woofer with an aftermarket coaxial speaker there is no high frequency signal present to drive the coxial's tweeter.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Silver03 said:
I'm not following what youre saying, the instructions I wrote out were to do what you stated, remove the box and put it back in... :shrug:

Indeed.. we're both talking about removing the box, however there is no need to take off the top decking, the screws are all accessible from the bottom. That was my only point.

mosconiac

Established Member
Silver03 said:
...Lay down the rear seats, from the interior, take out the 3 bolts that secure the rear head rest to the deck. Remove deck cover by popping out the 2 push pins that are located in the front. From the top of the deck, loosen the 6 nuts that secure the speaker enclosure to the rear deck, once these nuts are removed, the enclosure will just fall down so have someone hold it for you from inside the trunk....

TenthScale said:
...there is basically 3 bolts that hold it on. They are in those DEEP holes and you will need a deep socket as the bolt sticks out past the nut quite a bit...

Sonic 03 Cobra said:
...we're both talking about removing the box, however there is no need to take off the top decking, the screws are all accessible from the bottom...

OK, we have different answers for what has to be a simple job. I looked at the trunk and can't see 6 or 8 Torx fasteners. Where are they? All I see are 3 or 4 DEEP holes in the enclosure that MAY hold fasteners...but I can't see into them to see what is up there. Before I tear the whole damm thing apart, does anyone have a concrete answer?

Silver03

Established Member
I dont see how you can loosen it from the bottom, when I removed the nuts from the top, the bolts are secured to the enclosure some how, so they dont budge when trying to remove them. Then, when you are reinstalling it, how do you hold the nuts in place if the decking is still there?

Rice Eatr

Established Member
I started pulling the stockers out. There are 4 Torx screws that hold each amp (I assume) to the bottom of the plactic enclosure. I removed those and (6) 10mm nuts from the under side of the enclosure (deep pocks). That is as far as I got so far. The enclosure is still very secure.

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
My stereo guy said the rear enclosure was needed to hold the rear speakers up in the deck... Is he right? Or can I remove the enclosure and still have my rear speakers?

Chris

Silver03

Established Member
fordracerguy said:
My stereo guy said the rear enclosure was needed to hold the rear speakers up in the deck... Is he right? Or can I remove the enclosure and still have my rear speakers?

Chris

He is correct, the rear speakers are mounted to the enclosure, not the rear deck. You could probably find some brackets to mount them to the deck but you would have to drill out some holes. Plus, the amps are mounted to the enclosure as well, so you would have to find a location to mount the amps too.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I would love to get rid of that stupid enclosure box.

Here's what I would like to do:

Remove box, retain factory speakers and amps, place them back in the package tray.

What does a standard 6 cyl/GT have back there for speaker mounts? I hate that box, takes up trunk space, weight, makes noise because it moves around and the sheetmetal its tied too is too weak to really support it.

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
Silver03 said:
He is correct, the rear speakers are mounted to the enclosure, not the rear deck. You could probably find some brackets to mount them to the deck but you would have to drill out some holes. Plus, the amps are mounted to the enclosure as well, so you would have to find a location to mount the amps too.

Well, I dont have the factory amps, but I do have 1 amp. The other thing that would stink is the rear speakers would sound funny due to the bass hitting and distorting them... So I think i'll leave it be.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread