Rear speakers needed(mach)?

Mit5005

Established Member
Hey all, I just want to start and introduce myself. My name is Mitch and I just got an 03 black cobra 2 weeks ago and I am loving it. I have been reading a lot on here and all the info is really helpful.

So to get to my question, I am looking for new speakers to order and really want to get some nice components for the front. The thing is that they aren't cheap and I would probably just get some full range for the back or even leave the stock ones. How much difference do the rear speakers actually make in a 2 door car like this? I know i'll barely use the backseat and I want to try and save as much as I can.

And my other question is, in regards to the component speakers, does the shape of them matter? I see some 5x7/6x8 components for sale by some good brands but it seems the circular ones (5.25",6.5") are much more popular, even in many cobras/mustangs which have 6x8 openings. Thanks!

99boltsvt

hey lady..wanna ride??
Established Member
Componets up fron and in the rear......put back what size is there..if you don't want to do components in rear, at least get a good 2-way for the rear...JMO..and welcome newb!

CobraMac

Established Member
Welcome and good color choice. Before you think about changing any audio components, know that if you want to change the speakers, you're going to need to change everything including you stereo. Also you will need to get crossovers or bypass your amplifiers. The speaker size I would get for both front and back is 6 1/2, and you will need components because the stocks are components both in front and the rear. You don't HAVE to get components but I suggest it because it would sound the best. I have components in front and coaxials in the back, all 6 1/2". I would definitely get components in front though. Good luck and welcome!! Hit me up if you have any questions, I know my stuff about car audio, I used to be an installer for 2 years!

Mit5005

Established Member
Thanks guys for the responses and the welcome :)
But yeah I already have a nice Pioneer head unit coming and I am looking for a nice amp to power the speakers. I am definitely removing the mach system entirely.

Cobramac: would I need to do any cutting to fit 6.5s in the stock speaker locations?

CobraMac

Established Member
No you would not. But I suggest picking up some plastic board incase you need to make some custom mounts. Here's a pic of my Infiniti Kappa components in front and as you see I made a custom mount, they are 5 1/4" speakers though. Other speakers might not need any mounts at all. The first pic is the bass speaker of the component and the second is the tweeter, both mounted in the stock position, so it all looks completely stock from the outside.

DSCN0444.jpg

DSCN0445.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread