rear suspension clanking

pohnjarker

Established Member
i installed some non-adjustable lower control arms, lower control arm relocation brackets, and an adjustable panhard brace on saturday.

after that i started to hear clanking. i got back up under the car on sunday to check it out, one of the bolts started to back out on the relocation bracket so i retightened that and made sure everything else was tight.

is it possible that the adjustable panhard brace is the one making all of the racket?? i dont like it but i can get used to it as long as i know everything is installed correctly.

any ideas?? i got the panhard brace for a good deal so if anything i can go back to a non-adjustable if i need to.

kevinp

Established Member
if any parts have rod ends not much you can do about the noise. If not then make sure everything is tight, especially the adjuster for the panhard bar. You have to make sure all the control arm bolts are tight enough to squeeze down on the sleeve in the center of the bushing. Those relocation brackets are pretty thick and sometimes take a little muscle to get the rear LCA bolts tight enough.

If its loud it should be easy to find.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I had the same thing going on with my car. UMI lower control arms and adjustable panhard bar. I made sure everything was tight and still get the noise. I did notice that the stock panhard bar is filled with something that sounds like sand so maybe it was for sound? maybe the panhard bar is making the noise just b/c thats how it is. my noise its just noise i cant feel it.

SicShelby09

Banned
i installed some non-adjustable lower control arms, lower control arm relocation brackets, and an adjustable panhard brace on saturday.

after that i started to hear clanking. i got back up under the car on sunday to check it out, one of the bolts started to back out on the relocation bracket so i retightened that and made sure everything else was tight.

is it possible that the adjustable panhard brace is the one making all of the racket?? i dont like it but i can get used to it as long as i know everything is installed correctly.

any ideas?? i got the panhard brace for a good deal so if anything i can go back to a non-adjustable if i need to.

I did an adjustable panhard bar on my 09 shelby, and within a few miles the rod ends went bad. The nylon bushings inthe rodends were junk and allowed the rod ends to clatter and clank when going over slow bumps. I was able to push the ass end of the car from side to side and reproduce that noise. Push it very gently to get the ass to wiggle from left to right, and if you hear that same noise, then its those rod ends on the bar. They would need to be replaced. Easy to do. That was my problem. Once I took the bar off, I would put my finger in the hole in the rod ends and get them to rattle when wiggling them. They were upgraded to heavy duty rod ends and never made a peep after that.

Last edited:

pohnjarker

Established Member
i thought i got everything as tight as i could but at lunch today i found both LCA front bolts about half an inch or more out...i tightened them up and will keep an eye on them. as soon as i can get it on a lift i'll take it all off and put some loctite on them to hopefully fix the issue.

like i said, if its supposed to make a little noise cuz of the rod ends, im cool with that.

Users who are viewing this thread