Rear Sway bar

CGGT01

Established Member
The rear sway bar snapped last night. :cuss:

Any recommendations on a replacemet? It doesnt look too hard to do in my garage. I saw Steeda has one for about $140. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Yup common problem. My car has a steeda rear sway bar, no complaints and seems to be holding up nicely. If you get a stock one, it's just going to do the same thing.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Very common.

The Ford replacement is solid, not hollow like the original (In the center) and lasts. They have a purple dot on them. I don't think anyone makes a thicker bar than the original/replacement ford bar. (good for handling)

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Very common.

The Ford replacement is solid, not hollow like the original (In the center) and lasts. They have a purple dot on them. I don't think anyone makes a thicker bar than the original/replacement ford bar. (good for handling)

Did not know the new ones were solid, good info.

On steedas website they list how much stiffer the front swaybar is compared to others, but say nothing about the stiffness of the rear. That leads be to believe they're all about the same.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
My Eibach is quite a bit bigger than my stocker. Also, my stocker broke at one of the bolt holes, not anywhere in the middle.

CGGT01

Established Member
Mine snapped right in front of the passenger side bolts. I thought it would have snapped in the center or something, but it didnt. A buddy has a V6 and his snapped dead center.

So I would be ok with a stock replacement?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
if you're going to spend money anyways- why not upgrade? btw - aftermarket rears are bigger than stock. steeda and eibach are about the same thickness- but sam strano uses eibach so that was enough for me:banana:

mrxr250rider

Established Member
My Eibach is quite a bit bigger than my stocker. Also, my stocker broke at one of the bolt holes, not anywhere in the middle.

thats where mine broke on my gt. got eibach front and rear sway bars for it. they stiffened it up a good amount over stock. it had stock springs too.

they are quite a bit bigger than the stock ones that were on my gt the front one is huge

Last edited:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
thats where mine broke on my gt. got eibach front and rear sway bars for it. they stiffened it up a good amount over stock. it had stock springs too.

they are quite a bit bigger than the stock ones that were on my gt the front one is huge

IIRC correctly the GT bar is thicker up front, smaller in rear. (Compared to the Cobra) This combo will increase understeer.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Yea the aftermarket swaybars are actually thinner then stock.. front is larger.

Stock rear is 27mm.. eibach and so on is 24mm if im correct..

stock front is 29 and eicbach and whatnot is 35mm....

Ive never had a rear swaybar.. So this should be a new feeling..I just upgraded both

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Don't just get carried away with mm and size. Although some may be smaller they may be stiffer.

It depends on material, and hollow or solid, ETC......

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
yeah mine busted about 6 mths ago, keep forgetting to get one lol. oh well

Users who are viewing this thread