Rear Tire play

devildog1679

Established Member
So I upgraded to 14" inch rotors in the rear using the caliper adapter bracket from ncmustangparts. When i put my tires on I noticed that if I rocked them back and forth there was a little play in them. Seems as if the rotor was moving back and forth. Its very minimal though. Is this normal?

evil281

Established Member
Are you saying that the wheel was installed and torqued down and had play?

It's normal for the rotor to move until the wheel is torqued down, the wheel is what holds it in place. From the factory ford installs little clips on the lug to keep the rotor in place

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR!

Should be ZERO play once the wheel is torqued down.

Remove and inspect, then reassemble and check.

Last edited:

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Tried with the stock wheels and same issue. It might be bad new rotors or the caliper adapters. I do notice thta the rotor is not perfectly centered in the caliper. Could this be the issue. Below is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me6JpIHbnQo

Kinda hard to tell whats going on with that video, but the C-clip axles have some normal side to side movement, Now if it's the wheel that's loose, you have problems.

devildog1679

Established Member
Turn's out it's the axle that is moving in and out by about 1/8" on both sides. Getting different opinions as to if this play in normal on axle with c clips.

Users who are viewing this thread