Rear Upper Control Arm Install HELP!

Dan12GT

Established Member
I think I might have purchased the incorrect control arm for my specific setup. I am on BRM lowering springs springs which is a 1.25" claimed drop in the rear. I have the non-adjustable UCA with poly bushing. With a lowered car am I going to run into issues installing this? I obviously have no way to adjust the pinion angle because it is not adjustable. Should I have gotten an adjustable one or would I be okay?

Thanks

squeak93

Established Member
It will bolt up but the adjustable one is ideal due to being able to correct the pinion angle on a lowered car.

Dan12GT

Established Member
Curious....

I know a lot of people lower their cars without ever going to a aftermarket UCA. Would these people not have to correct their pinion angle? I am on the stocker right now as well.

Dan12GT

Established Member
This brings another question. My BMR mount has two mounting locations for the arm to meet the mount toward the top of the car. Id assume the is to adjust pinion angle via the mount instead of the arm?

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
The 2 mounting options are to adjust your car's instant center at launch. The lower hole will improve your instant center as well as offer additional clearance between your car's floor pan and the control arm if you are lowered. Using the upper hole, will maintain the stock mounting position.

The pinion angle is adjusted by length of the arm (either shorter or longer).

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
True, a lot of people don't adjust their pinion angle after lowering their car. Just beware if you choose not to, you will be running around with your angle out of spec that could lead to rear issues in the future...premature bearing wear, pinion seal leak, noise, etc.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
the 2 mounting options are to adjust your car's instant center at launch. The lower hole will improve your instant center as well as offer additional clearance between your car's floor pan and the control arm if you are lowered. Using the upper hole, will maintain the stock mounting position.

^^^this^^^

Dan12GT

Established Member
From what I gather I think it would be best for me to measure the angle as it is now and after the install. If I am in spec after the install (2-3 negative) then I should be good? If not I guess it would be best to get the adjustable part to dial the angle into recommended spec.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
From what I gather I think it would be best for me to measure the angle as it is now and after the install. If I am in spec after the install (2-3 negative) then I should be good? If not I guess it would be best to get the adjustable part to dial the angle into recommended spec.

Why risk having to do the UCA twice...Return your non-adjustable for an adjustable and do it once. If you got the mount too, the back seat base needs to come out and the tank needs to be lowered.

Dan12GT

Established Member
Why risk having to do the UCA twice...Return your non-adjustable for an adjustable and do it once. If you got the mount too, the back seat base needs to come out and the tank needs to be lowered.

I bought it from a friend that never installed it so can't quite return it. Thus why I am trying to make it work out. I never heard of having to drop the tank to do the install. I don't think its near in the way at all actually.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I will measure the pinion and see where I am with the stock setup. Then go ahead with the install if in spec.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
I bought it from a friend that never installed it so can't quite return it. Thus why I am trying to make it work out. I never heard of having to drop the tank to do the install. I don't think its near in the way at all actually.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I will measure the pinion and see where I am with the stock setup. Then go ahead with the install if in spec.

Like I said...If you are replacing the Mount too, the tank needs to be lowered slightly and the back seat base needs to come out. The arm itself goes right in.

Fun4me

Established Member
With the stock driveshaft you'll be ok, because the cv joint will help correct your pinion angle.

Ideally you would want a adjustable UCA. And if you have a DS w/o a cv don't waste your time installing the non-adjustable UCA.

You might want to consider selling the one you have in the classifieds and purchasing the adjustable.
GL and let us know how the install went, I haven't done one yet, but am getting ready.
From what I read the 11+ dont need to drop the tank to get access, would be nice to know for sure.

Remember the bolt under the back seat needs a crazy amount of torque(about 300+ foot LBS).

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
the newest 5.0 magazine has a good write up on upgrading a new boss mustang. they installed an adjustable upper in detail.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
The 2 mounting options are to adjust your car's instant center at launch. The lower hole will improve your instant center as well as offer additional clearance between your car's floor pan and the control arm if you are lowered. Using the upper hole, will maintain the stock mounting position.

the newest 5.0 magazine has a good write up on upgrading a new boss mustang. they installed an adjustable upper in detail.

^^^This^^^ Just read that article this morning...Good read

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
No need to drop the tank on the 11+ models. But beware that not all UCA's will fit all mounts. Some of them are '05-'09 specific, but made to fit the '11+.

Just make sure you pair the correct parts, it is easy to buy the wrong pair if you aren't careful.

Users who are viewing this thread