Rear Wheels & Drag Radials for the Track

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
I am planning to go to Gainesville this September for tuning and more importantly, in November at the Southern Super Heavy Weight Shootout at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Georgia.

I cannot justify spending the money to get a set of Lidio's 9.5" wheels and then a set of drag radials for the few times I will take my Marauder to the track (once/twice a year). So, myself and SgtMac have been working on getting a set of 10" wheels with a 35mm offset which he has determined will fit on our cars. I can set of Weld race wheels to switch over at the track for racing. We need to determine the OD with the wheel and tire combination to achieve the same height as the stock wheels/tires to maintain the shift points without messing up the computer codes. The problem is there are not 18" race wheels available (at least I cannot find any) and will have to go to 17" and hopefully 315" Nitto Drag radials. SgtMac has done the research and fittings with shock and fender clearance. Does anybody know the formula or have any ideas for this project?

2Marauders

FordNut was already taken
Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
I am planning to go to Gainesville this September for tuning and more importantly, in November at the Southern Super Heavy Weight Shootout at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Georgia.

I cannot justify spending the money to get a set of Lidio's 9.5" wheels and then a set of drag radials for the few times I will take my Marauder to the track (once/twice a year). So, myself and SgtMac have been working on getting a set of 10" wheels with a 35mm offset which he has determined will fit on our cars. I can set of Weld race wheels to switch over at the track for racing. We need to determine the OD with the wheel and tire combination to achieve the same height as the stock wheels/tires to maintain the shift points without messing up the computer codes. The problem is there are not 18" race wheels available (at least I cannot find any) and will have to go to 17" and hopefully 315" Nitto Drag radials. SgtMac has done the research and fittings with shock and fender clearance. Does anybody know the formula or have any ideas for this project?

For short term use, the Mickey Thompson 295/65-15 is the correct height for the Marauder and width for 9.5-10" rims. Check for the correct backspacing on a 9.5 or 10x15" rim and check for brake clearance (should be ok) and that would be a good tire to use back & forth to the track and racing. Try to find a rim that is similar to the OEM wheels to match the fronts. Beware, Mickey Thompson drag radials are not like Nittos, they are very dangerous in the rain!

Last edited:

tmac1337

No More Mr. Nice Guy
Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
I am planning to go to Gainesville this September for tuning

Tom, do you mean "racing"?

Anyway, good luck with the tire and wheel search.

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
2Marauders said:
For short term use, the Mickey Thompson 295/65-15 is the correct height for the Marauder and width for 9.5-10" rims. Check for the correct backspacing on a 9.5 or 10x15" rim and check for brake clearance (should be ok) and that would be a good tire to use back & forth to the track and racing. Try to find a rim that is similar to the OEM wheels to match the fronts. Beware, Mickey Thompson drag radials are not like Nittos, they are very dangerous in the rain!

Thanks for the info. I will look into the MT's. I don't care if the rims match the fronts (keep the cost down), because I am only going to put them on at the track and put the OEM wheels back on for the ride home. And I have heard the MT's are terrible in the rain.

TooManyFords

carpe noctum.
Established Member
Timing is EVERYTHING!

I'm looking for the same setup Tom. I want to order something today or tomorrow and pray they make it by Friday. Will a 15" rim fit over our rear calipers? I think they will.

Keep us all posted on what you get.

Cheers!

John

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
John, 15" wheels WIL NOT fit over our calibers. We have to go with at least 17" wheels due to the larger calipers & rotors. Still hunting and will let you know what I find out.

TOM

HwyCruiser

Procharger #3
Established Member
TooManyFords said:
Timing is EVERYTHING!

I'm looking for the same setup Tom. I want to order something today or tomorrow and pray they make it by Friday. Will a 15" rim fit over our rear calipers? I think they will.

Keep us all posted on what you get.

Cheers!

John

Uh huh... by Friday, eh?

I'll make sure to bring the torque wrench with me... buddy.

:-D

tmac1337

No More Mr. Nice Guy
Established Member
Tom, any update on a set of spare rear rims for the track?

I am going to invest in 2 myself and get some Nitto Drags.

What about 2 Kazeera rims from Tirerack?

All this dialing in of my Marauder's tune lately has me itching to get some strip time.

I am inclined to go with you to the Atlanta races this fall.

Also I will probably see you in Gainesville this September. Myself and some friends (special guest included) are seriously talking about stopping by. I would not want you to be the only Procharger guy to represent.

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
tmac1337 said:
Tom, any update on a set of spare rear rims for the track?

I am going to invest in 2 myself and get some Nitto Drags.

What about 2 Kazeera rims from Tirerack?

All this dialing in of my Marauder's tune lately has me itching to get some strip time.

I am inclined to go with you to the Atlanta races this fall.

Also I will probably see you in Gainesville this September. Myself and some friends (special guest included) are seriously talking about stopping by. I would not want you to be the only Procharger guy to represent.

Still working on the combination. Maybe Weld 17" racing wheels and some straight slicks if I can get the right tire height combination. I will have someting ready for Gainesville either way and will let you know.

After yesterdays tune at Diablosport, traction has to be in the equation. 500 RWHP needs to hook up. Can't wait until next Saturday after the fuel pump change and final tune. Should be interesting. And I am looking forward to Gainesville in September as well as Atlanta in November to represent Florida S/C Marauders against the Impala SS boys. And sure, some Procharger support is always welcome as is Triolgy. Vortech and Nitrous Marauders.

Last edited:

tmac1337

No More Mr. Nice Guy
Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
500 RWHP needs to hook up.

Tom, you were well over 500 RWHP. I could not believe what I was seeing!

One of your first pulls made 400 RWHP at 5000 RPM with only 8-9 degrees of timing. Tell that to your grandkids!

maraudernkc

Procharger Kit #0
Established Member
QUOTE=BigMerc]INFOMERCIAL ^ :sleeping:[/QUOTE]

BigMerc, those are facts not fiction.

I think it's time you came out of the closet. :pop:

BigMerc

No one's buddy
Established Member
You keep saying that but you don't get it, I'm just anti- over the top, push my own products, with my 2 pet weasels.

seriously I always get the idea you 3 are trying to sell me something everytime you speak, you never say anything unless it can sell a point on you beloved procharger, and you question if someone else says something good about theirs.

I have never made any statements about one over the other I only needle you 3 used car salesman and your CHOREOGRAPHED posts and answers, its laughable to think we don't know thats what you guys do.

I like em all i just don't like the 3 stooges....the three procharger stooges

The Wraith

Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
Still working on the combination. Maybe Weld 17" racing wheels and some straight slicks if I can get the right tire height combination. I will have someting ready for Gainesville either way and will let you know.

After yesterdays tune at Diablosport, traction has to be in the equation. 500 RWHP needs to hook up. Can't wait until next Saturday after the fuel pump change and final tune. Should be interesting. And I am looking forward to Gainesville in September as well as Atlanta in November to represent Florida S/C Marauders against the Impala SS boys. And sure, some Procharger support is always welcome as is Triolgy. Vortech and Nitrous Marauders.

Hey Tom did you guys come up with anything yet??

tmac1337

No More Mr. Nice Guy
Established Member
Why keep looking? The Kazera rims at Tirerack are 18x8.5 fronts and 18x9.5 rear (same as Lidio's). Why buy to welded rims when for the same price 4 rims can be purchased with chrome, and they look good too!

Just throw on the some drag radials and good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread